I bring you very sad news

The memorial thread with posts from fans.

thanks for everything

Postby snowcone concession » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:39 pm

man, i just found out about this today and i was crushed. after reading some of the other posts, it's obvious that david and the dead milkmen touched us in a very similar way.

i started listening to the dead milkmen thanks to skateboarding. i grew up in saudi arabia and one of my only outlets for discovering new music was through thrasher magazine which i was able to buy at the px on the military base. i remember seeing the classic picture of the cow logo and as a little kid thinking, "that looks cool, i wonder what they sound like?"

being in saudi, we were a little behind the times and the only album i could find in the music stores there was a cassette (bootleg of course) of beelzabubba. my friend jerad bought a tom petty tape and i think and him and i listened to dead milkmen and tom petty that whole day. (yeah, it's an interesting mix, but it worked somehow.)

no one else really listened to them at my school and that was fine with me. in fact, i remember knowing how cool i thought they were when someone said, " what the hell is that, they're terrible, they can't even sing." of course, this statement came from someone who listened to richard marx and new kids on the block so that just totally solidified my love for them. if she hated it, it must be good. know what i mean?

i moved to the states in 1993 and live in florida now. i can only remember them playing once in my are since i've been here, and for some reason, i wasn't able to go to the show. i've regretted that day every since.

with the loss of david blood, it makes me wish i could turn back time even more and had been able to experience the dead milkmen live.

i'm a part-time volunteer dj at a local community radio station now called wmnf 88.5fm in tampa and i along with 7 other dj's host a "college rock" show sundays thru thursdays and we regularly play and get requests for the dead milkmen. every time i get a request to play dm, i get really excited 'cause i know i'm talking to a true music fan.

thanks so much to the dead milkmen and to david blood for making the past 15 years of my life so much better with their music. you'll live forever in our hearts.

sincerely,
paul mallett

p.s. i listen to mojo nixon 'cause of you guys too, so thanks for that also.
snowcone concession

Dave

Postby Craze ET » Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:33 am

Hello; I didn't read too many of the other posts but I just wanted to say I'm really sorry about Dave.

I found out just yesturday when I was talking bass with my bandmates. I mentioned that I thought the best bassline EVER was "Serrated Edge" by the Dead Milkmen, and the other guitarist said "The bassist for the Dead Milkmen killed himself." It was quite a shock for me.

Just wanted to say that the world has lost a great person. Since I am only familiar with the music aspect of his life, I can honestly say that Dave wrote the best basslines I have ever heard. He really added a lot to the sound of the band, and the world is a lesser place without him.

PEACE.
"Are you empty with that?"
Craze ET

Postby Spoon » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:20 pm

[quote="BigTimeOperator"]I think Heaven was lacking a good bass player. In fact I know it was. Now it has the best.[/quote]

I can appreciate you being a hardcore DM fan and all, but that's just plain stupid.
"I am an asexual pug " - Lamp
Spoon

Postby BigTimeOperator » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:24 pm

Just how I felt. Sorry if you think I am stupid.
Gather round me everybody
Let me tell you who I am...
BigTimeOperator

Postby Spoon » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:49 am

I didn't say YOU were stupid. Actually, I thought you were just fucking around and being overly sappy. D'oh!
"I am an asexual pug " - Lamp
Spoon

Postby BigTimeOperator » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:41 am

I hope this thread is going to be preserved somewhere.
BigTimeOperator

Postby The Lamp Incident » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:16 pm

We can publish it in the same book as the mega thread and call it "Great Threads of the Dead Milkmen board".
eh
The Lamp Incident

Postby BigTimeOperator » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:46 pm

Would it be a bathroom reader? Or one of those things you read on a plane?
BigTimeOperator

Postby The Lamp Incident » Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:02 pm

I'd read anything in the bathroom.
eh
The Lamp Incident

Postby FoxPuppy » Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:42 pm

wow...is there a certain point on this thread where we'd STOP preserving it? Say...three or four posts back?
FoxPuppy

Postby The Tarantula » Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:55 pm

This thread is a travesty.
The Tarantula

Postby BigTimeOperator » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:52 am

Why is that Tarantula? This is the Dave memorial thread.
BigTimeOperator

Postby The Tarantula » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:31 am

No, it's a lovely thread, I just meant what it was becoming. It should maybe be locked before we ruin it.
The Tarantula

Postby The Lamp Incident » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:58 pm

I believe it was Technocow who first said "It's funny how these threads evolve so much from what they originally started as". This must not be an exception. I like that we're carrying out the normal order of the board. I guess Dave's death has just sunk in.
eh
The Lamp Incident

Postby Steve-o » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:59 am

I just found out about this last night. I'm floored. I knew Dave at IU. He told me about his tendinitis and how he couldn't play again. This is all so very, very sad. He will be missed.
Steve-o

PreviousNext

Return to Dave Blood Memorial Thread