I bring you very sad news

The memorial thread with posts from fans.

Postby Eve-Lau » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:44 pm

This is really sad. I started to speak with Dave through email after I let him my email adress on the board. He was very interesting and always replied to my notes the very next day. He wrote me every single day and always had very interesting things to say to me. I was wondering what was going on. I hadn't gotten any news. I should have checked the FFA sooner. I feel aweful right now. This is going to stick with me for a long time. I wish I had gotten the chance to know him more. I'm sure that if there is a heaven or something like that well, David is probably there. To all his friends, family and the milkmen left, I am truly sorry for your loss.
Ich bin der Musikant mit Taschenrechner in der Hand.
Eve-Lau

Postby Eve-Lau » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:31 am

I just wanted to add that if any family member/friend/bandmate is interested in reading the emails he sent me, just let me know. I truly did not see that coming. I even thought he seemed kind of optimistic in his notes. Even the last one (march 9th 2004) wich ended with 'More in another note. Later, David.'. I want to share these messages with you because they are all positive and might take a bit of pain off of this terrible loss. As I re-read his notes, I can see a certain nostalgy. He did say that although he had passion in his life (his ongoing serbian studies) he did not fell as complete as he did when he was in the DM. I felt from his emails that his DM days were the best part of his life. He told me about touring and being in a band with so much passion and enthousiasm...

Laurence (it's a girl's name in French) from Québec city

public_image_ltd@hotmail.com

Anyone on this board : feel free to write. We can only try to ease the pain by sharing good memories of Dave.
Ich bin der Musikant mit Taschenrechner in der Hand.
Eve-Lau

Hey guys

Postby Burris » Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:44 pm

Dead Milkmen, along with The Vandals we're two of the first bands I listened to. The music's done alot for me, and it really saddens me to hear this. His talent inspired me. Thanks alot to all of the band for the great music, and i'm really sorry.
Burris

get on the bus to beelzebub(ba)

Postby narf » Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:38 pm

maybe other folks said something about the bus ride, but i think you were talkin' about me. right on.

[quote="Beaker"]As the saying goes "what can i say that hasn't been said already?". I wish i had some story to tell like alot of people, but I dont. I was just a mild mannered teen back in the late 80's early 90's. I never had the chance to see the milkmen live, much less meet them or correspond with them. But I loved their music. I wish i could remember the name of the individual who, on this board, mentioned that the milkmen helped make the bus ride to school better. Same here. I never learned a golden rule from the Milkmen, never changed the way i lived or anything like that. BUT i did manage to have a fun time listening to them play and just laughing at the things they'd say and...just ..well...having the time of my life via one little music cassette. And here i am, years later bordering on the big age of 30, and feeling like some big part of my adolescence is gone. But i got to experience it and it's better than nothing i guess. Thanks Dave, and Dean, and Joe, and Rodney for making middle school, high school, college, and "grown-up-ness" a fun time.
I hope you rest in Peace Dave and thanks for providing the bass for the musical score to alot of great times![/quote]
ye olde goode tymes
narf

Postby Mattashell » Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:52 pm

I just can't read through all 38 pages of replies to this, so I'll just go ahead and say my piece.

I just found out about thtis last night in the Entertainment Weekly obits.

I found this website while doing a search for a news story about it.

Like many people here, I can thank Dave and the other Milkmen for making my adolescence a little less painful. I made a pilgramage to Phillie to see thier "final" show (since Stony's was released a year later, I'm never sure if there weren't more shows) and took a tour of philly with a co-worker who lived there seeing landmarks mentioned in Milkmen songs. I had seen them once before that at Wetlands. Every so often I wear one of my old t-shirts, and I always seem to meet someone who remembers them.

I can only express my grief at this news, and my thoughts and condolences to his family, friends and bandmates.

The silver lining is that this news lead to my discovery of this sight. I guess I would have assumed than an official Dead Milkmen website didn't exist. I'm happy to learn one does, but sadened by the circumstances leading to it. I plan to return and vistit often.

Thanks Dave, for making me so happy for the last 15 years. Here's to a future generation of fans.
Mattashell

Postby Jason@Atomic » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:29 pm

My name is Jason D. LaMonaca.

Circa 1985, like many kids in my town and school, I started skateboarding. Besides learning the latest skateboard tricks from pros in the pages of Thrasher magazine, we also learned that "true" skaters listened to hardcore punk rock music. Some of the older skaters confirmed this with the sounds that always skated too. An older punk skater made me some tapes filled with the sounds of the Dead Kennedys, Vandals, Black Flag, Social Distortion, etc., and even some Ramones. I still owe that punk a great deal of thanks for opening my ears to some great music. Now around this time, one of the O'Neil brothers (Timmy or Tommy) happened to get turned onto the Dead Milkmen. He let us hear Big Lizard and we were hooked. So the next day Butter, Lance, Neil, Chris and I skated down to the Balcony in 69th Street, Upper Darby, and we bought our own copy. We loved it!

In the late 80s -early 90s, my friends and I formed a new skateboard team, Team Atomic. One of the main tools for promoting our team, as well as our local skateboarding scene, was through the publication of our 'zine, The Atomic Age. From the very first issue we featured the Dead Milkmen in each issue, through record reviews, concert reviews, and even a Dave Blood interview.

Over the years, I had the opportunity to see the DM live numerous times, like their all ages show where at the infamous dance club, Pulsations where Rodney danced with a robot, ad gave shout outs to his Dad in the audience. My favorite DM show was when they played a Halloween show opening for Iggy Pop. My friends and I were so stoked after the group's performance we left right then and there, without seeing Iggy (to this day I still regret not seeing the Godfather of Punk, but that is how great the show was!)

I got the chance to talk to Joe and Dave a lot over the years, and they even included The Atomic Age in the DM newsletter a number of times. Thanks to them we were getting letter from skaters and punks in Germany and Paris who were also Milkmen fans. We always tried to turn people onto the Dead Milkmen. One of the gifts I gave to pro skater, Tony Hawk as a thank you for an interview with us, was my personal promo copy of "Punk Rock Girl".

Without a doubt though, one of my main highlights writing for The Atomic Age, was interviewing Dave. Although the print interview was a short one, we talked for hours about many different subjects, including music. He is a great guy, and a great musician. Dave is the reason I listen to the bass foremost when I'm listening to a song for the first time.

From myself, Chris, Lance, Butter, Pat, Neil, Jeremy, all of us at Atomic Reaction, Team Atomic, and The Atomic Age, our thoughts and prayers are with all of you: Dave's friends and family, Dean, Joe, Rodney, and the entire Milkmen staff and crew, and everyone reading this.

You were part of a great band - The Dead Milkmen - but now you have gone onto join another one: I imagine your jamming right now with the likes of Joe Strummer, Joey Ramone, Cliff Burton, and Roy Orbison!

Dave I will miss you. Thank you for everything!
Jason@Atomic

Very Sorry To Hear Of This Tragic Loss

Postby Chaz » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:34 am

My deepest sympathy and regrets to the family, friends and bandmates of Dave. I will keep all in my thoughts and prayers.
Chaz

Postby New Wave » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:47 pm

I've been wanting to post here ever since I heard the sad news on the 18th, but haven't come across the right words until today. First off, my condolences to Dean, Rodney, and Joe Jack Talcum, and all of Dave's friends and family. My years at Penn & in West Philly from '83 - '89/'90 wouldn't've been at all bearable without the joys of the Dead Milkmen & their support of the local Philly scene. Many a happy, drunken hour was spent dancing at their gigs, especially the one at Pi Lam (during Human BBQ? '85 or '86?) where they very nearly brought down the house. Literally! One of the support beams cracked, buckling the floor. That was definitely one hell of a show. And what I would give for a go in a time machine to transport myself to that time and place...

These are the words I came across today that I would like to share:

An Irish Prayer

May those that love us, love us
And those that don't love us
May God turn their hearts
And if He doesn't turn their hearts
May He turn their ankles
So we'll know them by their limping.

Thought maybe Dave might appreciate the twisted humor and sentiment of those few words.

Here's hoping that you're in a more peaceful place. Say hi to my friend Danielle when you're there.

Sharon MacM&M
New Wave

What about death-related songs?>>>

Postby JADEanole » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:55 pm

I know it's kinda late...I just foud out about Dave's death a couple days ago when I visited the DMM website.

It's a shame to hear about Dave. What a horrid way to die....I think it's worse for others though: his friends and family, etc just to hear about what happened.

I think back now to some of the (few) songs done by Dave. Like the "I hate myself song". I think back to that....as a matter of fact...I'm listening to it right now and I'm surprised I didn't see this coming sooner.

I guess now a days people just think a song w/ suicide, death, murder, and violence in it seems normal. We are subject to such songs daily...just listen to the radio. Some people (of course NOT all) may even think songs like that are a joke. But they are not and think they should be taken seriously. When you hear a song like that you need to think about what's going on behind the song writer's mind. I'm telling this to everyone....and I don't mean to make anybody upset. ^_^;

Also, to the Dead MilkMen: I just love your newest album Now we are 20. I've been a DMM fan since I was 7....I even remember u goys being mentioned in this (old skool) show I used to watch on Nick called "Eat your Shorts". They mentioned u guys! and that's how I got interested in you ppl. Unfortunantly, I was never able to attend any of your concerts....my parents were always very protective and never allowed me to attend such a "horrid" place- such as a punk concert.

Playing fast is not punk. U guys are the perfect old-skool 80's rock band and I honestly think u guys had an AWESOME run. U r the only band I love that's over 20. And I'm sorry it's finally over. (or is it?)

Try and stay as happy as possible ppl. I know times like thi r tough.

I'm sorry....... :(

peace.
~Melissa (my real name)

The Dead MilkMen are totally awesome and so were the 80's. (I was born 10/12/1986)

**ROCK ON!!!**
"I wanna monkey to clean my bus...."
-Kevin /W. (the next Hendrix).
JADEanole

Postby vwfreak42 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:02 am

Jade, I think that was "Salute Your Shorts", with Danny Cooksey? My best friend used to tape it and we watched it EVERY WEEKEND! What ever happened to TV like that? :)
vwfreak42

Yeah...I remember now!! (more shows)

Postby JADEanole » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:40 pm

Yeah....u r right. It must have been so long since I've actually seen the show that I even forgot it's name...lol, I feel stupid. But thanks for correcting me!! ^_^ From what I do remember it was a kick ass show!!!!
Maybe your friend can make a copy of the recording and sell it on ebay. I'd buy it! (i really wanna see it again!)

I also LOVED Rockos (sp?) Modern Life and The Ren and Stimpy show. (I actaully have a bunch of ren and stimpy shows I recorded...but I'd never sell em! ^_^). I miss all the good tv too. :(

What other good "old skool" shows are out there that u ppl used to watch?

I'm curious............

PS: I also used to watch The Pirates of Dark water. I loved the freaky half monkey half parrot things....although, the show was only out for like a few years in the early 90's. (used to be on cartoon net.)

I think it's still in HBO or something late at night....But how should I know: I don't have cable or sattelite. And only have 13 channels that come in.

lol..(i live in the booners of MD). ;D
~Melissa (my real name)

The Dead MilkMen are totally awesome and so were the 80's. (I was born 10/12/1986)

**ROCK ON!!!**
JADEanole

Postby Brian Bubonic » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:44 pm

Hey Melissa (JADEanole),

See today's "Tour Story"
http://www.deadmilkmen.com/tourstories/index.html

Later,
Bubonic
Brian Bubonic

i try to tell ppl but........

Postby JADEanole » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:02 pm

I try to tell ppl about poor Dave's death and all's i hear is "Who the hell is Dave Blood?!" it saddens me.....so I tell them that he was the bass player in the DMM. And like nobody knows who the DMM r. It's sad it really is....I think everyone (even if they were too young to be born in the 80's) should know about the DMM and at least hear one song of theirs.

(So far: only 3 ppl in my school knew who the DMM r: Kevin .W., Danielle .W., and me. (both of these ppl r my friends)

.......what ever happened to real musik ppl?!
I can't even bear listening to the radio anymore!

(opps...I'll stop talking now. I just noticed that I'm going WAY off topic!)

lol, sorry.
~Melissa (my real name)

**ROCK ON!!!**
JADEanole

:(

Postby punkrockgeekboy » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:22 pm

I never knew Dave. I never even got to see the dead milkmen
live.

I just remember back in '98 my good friend Jake in philly, he was in a band called Floz and had introduced me to a lot of funny/pop punk bands I had never heard.. I'd always just listened to ska and older punk.. The dead milkmen were the best of the bunch, followed by the queers.. Many happy moments were caused by DM.. Lines from the dead milkmen are so engrossed in our circles of friends, both back home and here in sf, that it's common place to go "whoaaaaaaaaaaaa we're going to the zoo" whenever we're in a car", or quote punk rock girl whenever we'd try to meet a girl at a show, etc.. As a bass player, this is an especially sad loss, because Dave was one of my favorite bass players, and was very innovative in his mixture of genres for different songs.

A loss indeed.
punkrockgeekboy

Postby vwfreak42 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:42 pm

Brian, the birthday post was way cool of you.
vwfreak42

PreviousNext

Return to Dave Blood Memorial Thread