I bring you very sad news

The memorial thread with posts from fans.

That Sucks

Postby airock Goof » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:01 pm

Hey all!!! This really sucks what happened...Sad to hear...I really like the band...He was a really good bass player and a good stage present...Thank you dave's sister for the info...
airock Goof

Condolences

Postby Brian Valley » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:17 pm

The last time I posted on the DM FFA is when Glenn K was running it waaaaayyyy back when.

I read about Dave's passing, and was both shocked and saddened. My condolences go out to his friends, family and fans. My DM tatoo will carry a different meaning from now on.

MTV News mentioned Dave's passing, which means that somewhere deep inside they still recognize good bands and their music.

Also, a hello to John Contarino.
Brian Valley

Postby violent wimp » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:11 pm

Thats extremely sad news to me I have love dave and the whole band
ever since I first heard beach song this will be a loss to me !
cock rock metal's like a bad laxitive it just don't move me ! ya' know ?
violent wimp

Dave

Postby queenoftheuniverse » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:33 pm

My mother e-mailed me about Dave's death the day Rodney told her (that morning, I guess); I still can't really fathom it. I didn't know Dave all that well, although he and Rodney were bandmates for quite some time.

I spent very little time with Dave, but the only time I remember seeing him laugh and smile was backstage at a show when Rodney and my son were racing some little plastic scuba guy against a plastic sub in the sink. They all thought it was hysterically funny.

I don't know what else to say; Dave's loss is felt by all who knew him, even peripherally, and thousands of fans who didn't know him at all. I feel I didn't know him at all, but am so saddened at the loss that I find it difficult to make the keystrokes to write this.
Say what you want about fascism; at least you know when the fake elections are.
queenoftheuniverse

An Afterthought, to Kathy

Postby queenoftheuniverse » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:39 pm

Some of the time I spent with Dave was also spent with Marge. Your mother seemed to be one of the best, and it was obvious, even to the outsider, that they enjoyed a great relationship. I know it may sound trite to you, but I mourn for your family for both losses.

My mother almost died in December, and I don't know what Rodney would have done if she had. There before the grace of God......

I am so sorry for both of your losses. If you need someone to talk to, I'm long distance, but you can always e-mail.

Love,

Christine
Say what you want about fascism; at least you know when the fake elections are.
queenoftheuniverse

Goodbye Dave Blood.

Postby breakdance666 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:41 pm

Fifteen years a fan of tdm. It means something. Rest in peace Dave.
breakdance666

Postby Set_them_on_fire » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:00 pm

Hmm, I wrote this in school today and decided to post it sort of to Dave since I heard that people stay around on earth for a week after they pass away. Although I'm not sure if I believe this myself I will still post this.

Dave I never met you in person but I listened to you music. Your music showed me the true meaning of punk ((not horrible stuff that people told me)) and still made me laugh and have a good time. I have only been a Dead Milkmen fan for 7 or 8 months but you, Rodney, Joe Jack and Dean won me over and are now my heroes and will be forever. Dave all of your loyal fans miss you and wish you were back on earth. Dave, there have been over 534 members on the free for all just to show their love for you and to show how much they care. I feel sad though that they weren't there for you in their time of need, but they didn't know. I'm sorry I wasn't there but I never ever thought of you as a depressed person. I always saw you as the funny and witty Dave. I guess I was close-minded while I was reading that last interview with you because I did not notice any trace of un-happiness. If only I noticed I would have tried somehow, anyway to make you feel better.

I noticed today that some people in this world are extremely cruel. I was carrying around my only Dead Milkmen cd I have and I placed it on my desk at school. They began to say how much the Dead Milkmen suck. Even after they saw I sign that my friend made for me because she saw how upset I was they said that you sucked. I'm sorry but that was the last straw. I started screaming at them and now I think I’m going to get suspended but I could careless because some people in the world are idiots and need to have more compassion when people loose others even though I have never met you in person.

Your music has touched a lot of people in the world, including me. I really do hope that the pain you felt in your life has subsided and you are a lot happier in your after life. Dave, I don't think I have ever cried for a musician that I never met before so that makes you the first. I was crying as I wrote this in school but no one noticed and if they did they would have laughed anyway.

My friend and I never ever saw this coming. We never thought you were depressed I'm not even sure if Rodney, Joe Jack and Dean did either. But they might have since they were your friends.

As I have said before I would have helped I would have done something but now it is too late and you have already taken your precious life. I can't help but to cry, that is all that I can do now that you're gone.

We all miss you Dave and we want you back.

~Briana
Set_them_on_fire

THE MILKMEN WILL LIVE ON FOREVER.

Postby ign » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:31 pm

i was lucky enough to catch the milkmen twice in cleveland
once for soul rotation and then for richard, not dick. they
played at peabodys down under and they killed it both times.
i'm an old school head, and i'm very saddened by the news
about dave. i was actually hoping to see a reunion tour or
something soon, maybe now they could tour with another
bassist for dave's memory. no matter what, the milkmen
have influenced my music tastes and style since album 1,
and i will never stop listening to them ever. thanks for the
good times dave.
ign

Postby Beaker » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:07 am

As the saying goes "what can i say that hasn't been said already?". I wish i had some story to tell like alot of people, but I dont. I was just a mild mannered teen back in the late 80's early 90's. I never had the chance to see the milkmen live, much less meet them or correspond with them. But I loved their music. I wish i could remember the name of the individual who, on this board, mentioned that the milkmen helped make the bus ride to school better. Same here. I never learned a golden rule from the Milkmen, never changed the way i lived or anything like that. BUT i did manage to have a fun time listening to them play and just laughing at the things they'd say and...just ..well...having the time of my life via one little music cassette. And here i am, years later bordering on the big age of 30, and feeling like some big part of my adolescence is gone. But i got to experience it and it's better than nothing i guess. Thanks Dave, and Dean, and Joe, and Rodney for making middle school, high school, college, and "grown-up-ness" a fun time.
I hope you rest in Peace Dave and thanks for providing the bass for the musical score to alot of great times!
Beaker

can we learn something from this? + rock on dave blood

Postby madscientist » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:07 am

My initial thought after the shock of this news was - can we as a society or individuals learn to better spot troubled people ? Maybe we can talk more or make each other aware more of the signs something like this is going to happen. I didn't know Mr. Blood personally, but in Prindle's interview he seemed happy, excited about going back to Yugoslavia to continue his life. So this really comes as a shock, and it would be some comfort if something positive can come of this, if we can somehow learn how to help stop this kind of thing from happening.

This has been a bummer year - first Elliot Smith now Dave Blood. Argh. God must be assembling one helluva band. D. Boon on rhythm guitar, Matt Fletcher on drums, Mary Hansen on harmony.

Thank you Dave for your super creative bass lines that really showed me and my group Johnny Jism how to do it right. Thanks for making the world a more interesting and fun place. I know that whatever afterlife you are in, you are making super cool music with your tendonitis-free hands in Yugoslavia and elsewhere, and lovin' it.
madscientist

Cheer up Kathy...

Postby sasukejounin » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:16 am

Kathy, you have got to be strong about this. I know exactly how you feel, my mother passed away 1 year from next month. I went through what you are going through... And now this... I've been a fan of the Dead Milkmen for so long. I can't stress my anguish and grievance in many words... So Dave, I cried for you. R.I.P. Dave Blood.

- Shinobi Naser
Words cannot describe... :-|
sasukejounin

Speechless

Postby fallinlovewithakiwi » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:27 am

I can't find words to explain my feelings on this matter. My friend just told me about what happened and I am truly shocked.
It's too bad posts like these couldn't have made it here earlier... Maybe then he would've known how much he mattered to so many. I had a long period in my life where I felt worthless. And I finally understand that people do care, and will be there for me. It's a shame he couldn't have realized that. It was his bass lines that always made you know automatically that what you were listening to was a Dead Milkmen song, the kind that gets stuck in your head all week and you don't mind. I remember getting Big Lizard for my birthday ages ago. And now I have so many DM records that I love. I always try to spread the knowledge of DM around to my friends, and they love them now too.
Wow.... Truly shocked. He was part of a major part of my life.

Dave will forever be in my heart and mind. I hope he's happier now, if happiness was indeed the only problem.
If I were a religious person, I would say prayers, and now I don't know what to say. But to the rest of DM and Kathy (I couldn't have your strength in a situation such as this.) : I am incredibly sorry and I will always think of you when I listen to DM.
'Tis a shame, this world.
fallinlovewithakiwi

Postby AngryMutantBeefJerky » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:34 am

To be honest, I only happened upon the Dead Milkmen a year ago and I barely knew Dave and the rest, but it saddens me to see so many disappointed people. The only thing I can do is wish Kathy and others who were close to him the strength to break through the ice of this tragedy.
AngryMutantBeefJerky

Postby Ku Shin » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:42 am

I had a hard time with this--I didn't want to post, but then...
I have loved the Dead Milkmen since I first heard the music way back whenever. The band was one of the reasons I decided to dedicate my life to music. I played bass for around eight years until, in 1997, I was diagnosed with epicondylitis, very similar to tendonitis. I eventually was forced to give up my bass, as the pain and weakness in my arms became too much to handle. I can't imagine where I would be without my wife and children to get me through the days. I completely understand what he was going through. Although I never met him, I'll miss him greatly.
Ku Shin

Wish I could have returned the favor.

Postby cinlind » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:39 am

The news of Dave taking his life has left me crushed.
I grew up on the east coast, in my late teens and early twenties I found myself in the midwest caring for an elderly relative. Today, I dont regret spending the last five years of my grandmothers life with her - it is time I will always cherish. At the time it was incredibly difficult for me, the arrangement left me socially isolated in a miserable tiny Kansas town with a demanding nonagenarian who was prone to call the police and the hospitals if I was not at home after dark. One of the things that truly made that humorless time in my life livable was the fact that the Dead Milkmen were such consummate road warriors. At that point my high school buddy Matt was their roadie and I would hit the road and link up with them if they had a gig within 400 miles of where I was. 24 hours with these guys would pack in the requisite humor most mortals consume in a years time - it was a god send to me.
Dave in particular was an amazing person - I don't believe he was aware of how depressed I was in my situation, but when I would show up he would drop everything and blanket me with his attention. He wanted to know what was going on with school, with my motorcycles - with whatever I was thinking at the time. The level of interest he could show in another person was phenomenal. It made a difference. - He was an amazing caring, sensitive person (and he shot a mean pinball).
It has been more than a decade since I have had the pleasure of Dave's company.
Last spring the Low budgets came to town, I saw Joe. He told me Dave was living with his folks, I got the impression things were waying heavy on him, and it sounded like I situation I could commiserate with. I shot him a couple of emails to which I never got replies. I don't know if I would have been able to make a difference, but I wish I had been more persistent, a better friend.
Best of luck to you Dave, you are missed.
Last edited by cinlind on Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cinlind

PreviousNext

Return to Dave Blood Memorial Thread