I bring you very sad news

The memorial thread with posts from fans.

NOOOOOO!!

Postby billzebub » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:46 pm

I like many, have probably been waiting around for a reunion. Now this can never come to fruition.

I saw the dead milkmen 4 times between 1990 and 1993. They were a major influence in my own song-stylings and they managed to turn me on to other bands (like King Missile and lots more).

Dave laid down such funky grooves on songs like Gorilla Girl, Serrated Edge, They Call Me the Walrus, KC's Mom...I could go on and on. I'll always remember him in that Girl Scout uniform from the cover of "Chaos Rules! - Live at the Trocadero".

Rock on Dave.
billzebub

oh god

Postby plasteredsky » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:47 pm

my gut just sank and chills went over me. it looks like i'm gonna be adding more to my dm tattoo now. sigh... *hugs* to everyone.
plasteredsky

Postby Brian Bubonic » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:37 pm

Over the past few days I've been thinking about the various conversations
I had with Dave. He had so many interests and we covered ground from
car stereos to politics to vitamins to brainwave sync to girlfriend woes...
I've been in and out of touch with him over the last few years and I'm still
finding it hard to fathom that he's no longer here.

Later,
Bubonic
Brian Bubonic

That's some Big Shoes to Fill

Postby LizardPrinceEros » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:53 pm

I didn't really know Dave Blood, never met him, never talked to him, never seen him. All I know is that he is the greatest bassist of all time. Without him, the Dead Milkmen would have been nothing and this site wouldn't even exist. I'm so glad that it does though, so now we can mourn the loss of the Bass God Dave Blood together. I don't think anyone will ever be able to match up to him. So long Dave, maybe I'll get to see you play in another life
LizardPrinceEros

RIP

Postby polkafetish » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:55 pm

i will never forget the shows i got to see the allmighty dead milkmen, especially the last time, the night the axis caught fire during some opening band's set, the club was evacuated, the fire was put out, and then the show went on. it was probably one of the best shows i have ever been to, depite getting my nose and glasses broken because smoke inhalation + morons from boston is a bad combo. the music has always been wonderful and it never seems to get old. dave's bass playing was such a huge part of the chemistry that made this band as wonderful as they were. he will surely be missed. my deepest and most sincere condolances to all of dave's family, friends, and fans.
Jared
polkafetish

i cant believe...

Postby deathsquadsuzy » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:03 pm

the news.. i heard by ear from around Perkasie... my home town, but wasn't quite sure. I didn't know him personally but I loved the band, as lame as this sounds, kind of like family.

I give my deepest sympathy for those who knew and loved them.

Once again, I'm so sorry and The Dead Milkmen will always live on in my heart forever.
Much love to Dave Blood and family.
-tamara-
deathsquadsuzy

yeheh shmay raba mevarah....

Postby jenfishsuperstar » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:07 pm

my grieving process has been interrupted five times now by being kicked off the infernet. earthlink sux ass.

i'm vinnie's wife, jen. (i was also friends with the infamous 'no belly button boy', and am pretty sure that dave and him are making crank calls and doing shots right now up in heaven) i got to meet the band in person in the summer of 1990 it was one of my favorite memories meeting them at boogie records in kalamazoo. i had been listening to them since 86. dmm got me through highschool that was plagued by def leppard.

the first thing i notices was how short they all were. they were SO tiny! i was in the middle of crying about dave's passing when i read someone's post about them being the 'dead milk midgets'. when life turns to shit, i find that midgets are very therapeutic. thanks for the imagery.

i learned about the news on friday. i had a show to do up in milwaukee, so i didn't really get to grieve the way i wanted to. on the way home i listened to several albums, paying close attention to dave's bass playing. today i called in to work and have been crying. so fucking sad to not know where one's place in the world is. we live in some pretty messed up times, yo--i totally understand that feeling.

my sympathies to all of dave's family, band mates, friends, and fans. do whatever you need to do to grieve. the body is just a body, but dave's soul is immortal, courtesy of our collective memories.

shalom,
jenfish superstar
i can talk to god any fucking way i want to!
jenfishsuperstar

friends of the spirit & heart

Postby merple » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:13 pm

Dearest Shitdigger: I, too, find the insight of loss as unfathomable to imagine. I never heard the "milkmen" - nor really worried for Dave too too much. He just came thru "the wire" once in awhile because I had lost my own mother in the 80's. I guess any person of harmony would. We always got to the point somehow-I, insisting he had a right to "find his beloved," him, insisting that he was just "doing his thing" and i should not be worried for him. I tried to indicate to him the difficulties that would occur with a commy interface with Yokoslavia, pointing a finger at Madonna & Michael Jackson doin' their video/films at the same time-and the US cross wire to super ego. Its now so profedic i feel a bit like i should have put a note in my calendar to think of him periodically and send the gentleness he always wanted to settle down and convey. Such is the irony of private hopes. You are not really quite there for the intrusions nor can give that one last kick of the "shot of Love."
(dylan song circulah 1984).
peace and fun times in the clubs
michele
aka
merple reddin

[quote="Brian Bubonic"]Over the past few days I've been thinking about the various conversations
I had with Dave. He had so many interests and we covered ground from
car stereos to politics to vitamins to brainwave sync to girlfriend woes...
I've been in and out of touch with him over the last few years and I'm still
finding it hard to fathom that he's no longer here.

Later,
Bubonic[/quote]
"Positivity = unlimited potential;
where negativity & typecasts may promote." MT
merple

Postby peeljudypeel » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:59 pm

My condolences to Dave’s family, friends, band mates… the world really.

I’ve been listening to the Milkmen for half my life and have raised my 3 younger brothers on them.

Much love to you Dave, wherever you are.
peeljudypeel

Nutrition

Postby Luke Strahota » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:12 pm

I just found out about Dave's passing this morning. I haven’t been able to get the intro bass line to "Nutrition" out of my head. God Bless You, Dave Blood.

I met TDM for the first time in 1989 in Portland, Oregon on the Beelzebubba tour. I was a senior in high school and TDM were my idols. Meeting them was probably one of the highest points of my teenage memories. They were the first band I ever interviewed. What I remember most of Dave was how funny he was. I asked them if they ever got groupies and Joe replied, “No, we’re not like the Butthole Surfers,” and Dave’s nasal voice cut through the air as he said, “those aren’t girls, those are female impersonators.”

My memories of this band are numerous and I think about my experiences with them quit often.

I wish to extend my most sincere condolences to Dave's friends and family.
Luke Strahota

Postby DD » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:50 pm

[quote="peeljudypeel"]My condolences to Dave’s family, friends, band mates…
the world really.

I’ve been listening to the Milkmen for half my life and have raised my 3
younger brothers on them.

Much love to you Dave, wherever you are.[/quote]

ho man. i just realized me too......HALF MY FREAKIN LIFE!!!!!!!! HOLY
CRAP!!!
"if i wake up late at night. i know that everything will be allright"
DD

sorely missed

Postby woods » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:56 pm

dear dave,
thank you for such a rich life. there are no words to describe what you did for me and so many others. you have been my unmet friend for fourteen years and counting. you and the guys molded me into who i am. you are part of the reason why i play and write music. i think i can speak for countless others when i say that without your influence, we wouldn't be who we are. i for one would have a completely different life. you offered so much more than just a bass line to dead milkmen songs. you offered a bass line to my life. and it will continue on as my theme music until i see you again.
thank you.
unconditional love,
woods
woods

Dave

Postby steve » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:18 pm

Hi,

I'm 34 this year. I have been listening to 'Big Lizard' for half my life. There is enduring energy and humour in that album. Its a classic. And I learned to play bass along to Serrated Edge.

I heard about Dave's death over on the punkplanet.com forum. I just wanted to say that I loved his music, and that I hope friends and family are bearing up OK.

Steve (Australia)
steve

Postby RadioRiot » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:19 pm

I have always wondered what people meant by saying they are at a loss of words, but I now know. I wish to send my condolences to the family, and hope that you pass through this well. I'm merely 17 years old, but have been listening to the Dead Milkmen since I was 14, after borrowing a cassete from my art teacher, and since then, I have been an advid fan. And after reading these replys, I realize that the Dead Milkmen are much more known about then I had realized.

-dim
cout << endl;
RadioRiot

Postby stestonkennedy » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:29 pm

well,...
Now I'm crying rainbow tears.
rest in peace Dave
oh, sweet nothing...
stestonkennedy

PreviousNext

Return to Dave Blood Memorial Thread