I bring you very sad news

The memorial thread with posts from fans.

Postby sno-cone » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:49 pm

You know what Dave? I liked you. You weren't like the other people here in the trailer park.

The first time I heard the Dead Milkmen it was actually on the public school bus in the eigth grade. The bus driver would let kids give her tapes to play on the route to school and one day I got on the bus and somebody had given her Big Lizard. This was in the era when Def Leppard was at the height of their popularity and when I stepped onto the bus I can clearly remember hearing the terrible racket of "Violent School." The kids were all yelling at the bus driver to stop the tape. At the time I hated it to but two years later I heard "Bitchin Camaro" somewhere and I was hooked.

I know all the lyrics. I own all the albums. They were a part of my life as much as any band ever was. Thanks Dave.
sno-cone

Postby Cretin75 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:50 pm

Sorry to hear about this :(

The Deadm Milkmen were a favorite band of mine when I was a freaky teenager.

I would follow them to almost every show that was in lower southeastern Michigan... even went to Toledo, Ohio a few times to check them out.

Hope all goes well with everyone.
Cretin75

Wow I can't believe it

Postby recordchick » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:51 pm

I admit I have not been to this site before, BUT...I am a big fan of Dead Milkmen, having seen them at least 3 times in college at the Blue Note in Columbia Missouri, always the BEST time and an awesome show.

No band will ever be able to match the brilliance of Big Lizard and other CDs...

Thank you Dead Milkmen, you legacy WILL live on! My condolences to the family!
recordchick

Re: So sorry

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:59 pm

[quote="tsteffes"]I've been a DM fan since the 80's. I've seen them twice and have played a few songs in my bands over the years. My wife and I sing a lot of DM songs with each other and it has always made us smile.

Making people happy is the greatest gift one person can give to another. I thank you all for that gift. I will always cheerish it.

I am so sorry for your loss.[/quote]

I couldn't have put this any better myself. As a lurker and new poster, I can assure you that many, many people feel the same way.

We'll miss you.
Tom Servo

Postby Jazriella » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:02 pm

wow. This is horrible, sad news. My prayers go to Dave and his family and to the Milkmen as well. Dave you will be missed.
Jazriella

Postby emmagatorone » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:04 pm

I only saw the Dead Milkmen live once in Seattle during the Not Richard But Dick tour. I had been a fan thanks to a good friend only a year or so before hand. That was my very first concert and I will never forget it. I used to play bass and I would ply mine "alongside" Dave's listening to classic DM tracks. I remember the first FFA and JonC and a select few of the other folks back then. I only ever met JonC in person though. Dave, you and your family will be in my thoughts. RIP man.
emmagatorone

Re: I bring you very sad news

Postby jiodew3j » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:07 pm

So sorry to hear this.

"...And we only miss them all the time."

So very sad.
jiodew3j

Postby gcbazooka » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:09 pm

This is really the saddest news I have heard in so long. My deepest sympathies go out to Dave's family, friends, and the Dead Milkmen. Thank you Dave and to all the Milkmen for providing me with music that has fed my spirit in the best and worst of times. You guys will always mean a lot to me.
gcbazooka

Postby Brian Boner » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:14 pm

I'm sorry to hear this beyond words....

Surfs up dude,
Look for you later.
Brian Boner

Dave

Postby darnfloor » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:20 pm

I went to my one and only Milkmen concert in either October 93 or 94 in Chicago. It was a VERY cold night but after the show my friends and I really wanted to meet the band. Despite the weather Dave and Joe Jack stood outside and froze to death talking to us for quite some time. I am sure they would have rather been warm and on their way to the next destination but they were very friendly and accomodating to everyone who waited out there for them.
My deepest condolences to you Kathy and your family,as well as the rest of the band. I wish you all much strength during this difficult time.
It is NEVER easy when dealing with situations like this. But since it is an unfortunate reality I hope Dave's passing was not in vain and that everyone affected by this can learn something from the experience; whether that is to get help if you are feeling the way he did,help someone that is going thru a difficult time,or even just appreciating life and those around you a little bit more.
" I need you to give it meaning,I need you to share the view,or it becomes another time for me to love myself,like every other thing I do" Hum
darnfloor

Farewell Dave

Postby Brice_Sullivan » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:24 pm

A great talent, a great mind, a great man.

It's too shocking for words to describe. I think every fan who enjoyed
the music of the Milkmen (for instance, I've been listening constantly
since I think 1984 when I first discovered their music and still love it as
much now as I did then), has to feel a great loss for a band member who
brought them so much feeling, humor & rock for so long.

I met Dave briefly twice. He was gracious and seemed to really be
enjoying himself both times. In years since, I've learned just how
knowledgeable he was about the world around him and how much he
cared about issues that face people's lives. He was obviously a very
caring man.

My heart goes out to his family and everyone who loved him.
Brice_Sullivan

Postby jim queer » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:26 pm

the dead milkmen have been my favorite band since i was a kid. i clearly
remember the first time i heard them in 9th grade study hall. i was
amazed. just in the last few days i had been learning a bunch of dead
milkmen on bass. on the surface its hard to understand why someone who
has been involved in something so great doesnt want to go on. i just
wanted to say im sorry to his family and friends. also to his fans, his music
made a great impact on all of us.
jim queer

This is so sad!

Postby lady_babalon » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:30 pm

Last night I was playing "Eat Your Paisley" as I went to sleep. Some of the songs were still in my head this morning as I went about my work day. I actually posted the lyrics to one of the songs on my live journal account. One of my friends commented on it and I was sharing the really cool lyrics to another favorite song. As I was doing so, my boyfriend called me and told me the sad, sad news. I want to cry but I'm at work...
The Dead Milkmen's album have brought me thousands of hours of listening pleasure and amusement. I fell in love with their irreverent lyrics when I was 15 and although I am 32 I have never outgrown them and hope I never will.

Rest in peace Dave, I hope you find what you needed out there...
lady_babalon

thoughts and prayers

Postby JustinAsshole » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:41 pm

to all - you've got the thoughts and prayers of the world of people who, like me, are only now discovering the music as a result of the tragedy.

The cincy & internet-based WOXY radio station has been doing a fair amount of very poignant & complimentary coverage on this.
(too lazy to create a unique login....)
Dave Blood is dead, Now we can enjoy life without the damn jerk!!!!!
JustinAsshole

Postby F_C_Eric » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:44 pm

:(
F_C_Eric

PreviousNext

Return to Dave Blood Memorial Thread