I bring you very sad news

The memorial thread with posts from fans.

Farewell Dave Blood

Postby dannylewd » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:09 pm

When I was 16 (in the late 80's) I drove an old, beat to hell primer black Camero that had a "bitchin'" sticker on the windshiled. I believe it was early '94 when I finally got to see the Dead Milkmen on a cold, rainy night at the now defunct Antenna Club in Memphis, TN. The guys were extra nice and signed a Not Richard But Dick poster for me that I still have to this day.

R.I.P Dave.....a true talent that will be missed by many.
dannylewd

Postby BallisticSwordfish » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:16 pm

I never knew Dave Blood but I knew his music well. My brother, sister and I all grew up listening to the Dead Milkmen and the news really hurts. One of the first songs I learned to play myself was the bass line from Surfin' Cow and I shall play it on my guitar tonight in memory of Dave.
BallisticSwordfish

Postby AstronautJones » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:19 pm

So sorry to hear this sad news. Dave Blood and the DM have made me
happy for many, many years, and I'm thankful for all the good memories
they have given me. Just about three weeks ago, I listened to my old DM
CD's and became reinvigorated, I bought "Now We Are 20" and the DVD,
I finally got to see the stuff I missed not having MTV at my house when I
was a kid. I've been on a renewed DM kick ever since... and now this.

Here's to you Dave, may you find the peace that has eluded you.
AstronautJones

never knew him, but knew i loved him

Postby neitzert » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:24 pm

What a sad day for music!

I grew up in the 'burbs of philly and a when i was 15 a neighbor kid gave me a copy of Big Lizard when he was home for the holidays, and I've been a fan ever since.

Dave's licks were the throb in the gristle in my teen angst, and one of the influences that caused me to pick up the bass-guitar.

My condolences to his family and the band, dave's talent will live forever in my jukebox and heart.

chris
neitzert

Postby rip31104 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:30 pm

I never knew Dave other then playing bass in a band I enjoy to listen to, but this really made me feel downright awful this morning. What little I head about his situation on The End morning show this morning was so sad.

I can believe fully that Dave's life was the band. I didn't know he couldn't play bass anymore, which must have been absolute hell on him.

I think the guy on THE End said it right this morning, "Just sick of seeing rockstars die." I hope that Dave is in a better place. I just don't know what else to say at this point. RIP, Thanks for adding to the soundtrack of my life.
rip31104

Postby TGreene » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:31 pm

Very tragic indeed... I just heard about his death a few minutes ago, when another fan posted this link on a different discussion board.

I would probably be able to consider myself to be one of the very first fans the band ever had, since I was fortunate enough to have been at a small party just off Purdue campus (the trailer park) when the band arrived at the small bonfire & keg party in a beat up van after just signing or recording (can't remember which) their first record deal in Chicago... This was July 4th, 1985. I remember it quite well, because we all went up to hang out at the top of the Krannert parking garage to watch the fireworks later that night.

To be at a party when a van rolls in and guys hop out with Mr. Microphones and boom boxes, was pretty cool, but when they began introducing themselves and handing out stickers, cool mooooooooved into a new perspective. After hearing "Punk Rock Girl" on MTV, I was like, "Damn -- Those guys made it!"

I'm not sure who was who, but I vividly remember one of the guys climbing a tree while singing a twisted variation of "Love Me 2 Times", and then getting stuck and suddenly singing about being stuck in a tree...

Rest in peace Dave, but rest knowing you all brought a lot of joy to the lives of others!
TGreene

Postby thecat59 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:33 pm

The Dead Milkmen are one of my all time favorite bands. I've had the pleasure of turning my two young children on to them. We've had a DM compilation CD I made playing in the car for the last weeks, and it's awesome to hear them sing the songs I've been singing for over half of my life. I was really looking forward to taking them to a reunion concert one day.

In the summer of 92 I was in a horrible interstate accident with some friends on our way to see the Dead Milkmen. Luckily, after flipping over in the car and landing upside down, everyone was alright, and we still managed to make the show!

My condolences to Dave's family and friends.

RIP Dave. You WILL be missed.
thecat59

Postby Dave W » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:35 pm

Kathy and the other Milkmen, my heart goes out to you and yours. :(

Just heard of this from a friend's email, it's a very sad day. I'm a long way away and didn't know him personally, but I always enjoyed the Dead Milkmen, saw them live twice, and had a great time. So sorry to hear this.
Dave W

Funkbox

Postby Funkbox » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:36 pm

Wow.
After listening to the band and following them closely until Soul Rotation, I had the opportunity to contact Dave within the last year and a half. I had hoped to interview him for my show, and extended the offer to him to drop by. He had lived in Bloomington IN for a while, and had moved elsewhere. Although I have not heard from him recently, he seemed fairly happy in his letters.

I am very glad to have had the chance to at least contact him and let him know how enjoyable he and the band made several years of my life. Family member, bandmates, you have my deepest sympathies. He sounded like a truly wonderful guy. I'll try to remember to do a little tribute on the show this morning. Most of my Dead Milkmen stuff is on tapes, so there may be digging to do. Fortunately, one of my favorite albums, Metaphysical Graffiti is on CD.
As I said, Dave lived in Bloomington for a while and went to IU. (A local reporter did an article on him for the local indy paper.) In that same town I air 1-3am on Fridays on WFHB, which is a community radio station. Right now, like many people, we are on edge about content due to the FCC, but I'll find some good pieces and play them early on. We now stream on line and through Itunes under public radio. Please e-mail me with any thoughts you'd like read! Adamfhb@yahoo.com
Funkbox

Postby slimwhitman » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:37 pm

I can't begin to tell you all how much hapiness the DM have made me and my skater friends growing up. It's been many years since I started listening to Dave and the guys tear it up. All I can say is that I ave been in the situation of losing a friend/family member in such a tragic way. Dave will be greatly missed and I wish the best for the DM and all the friends, family and fans involved. I hope that Dave has found the peace he's been searching for. R.I.P Dave! From all your friends and fans at Hyper 6 Records.......
slimwhitman

Postby william knapp » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:38 pm

i am very saddened by this news.
wherever dave is now, i hope he is rocking out and smiling and happy.

to dave's family and friends, a loss like this is such a heavy thing...try to hang in and remember all the good things.

love
william
william knapp

R.I.P. dave

Postby flirzan » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:43 pm

I didn't know Dave, other than through his music, but his departure saddens me greatly. Dave was the main reason I chose to pick up a bass for the first time at the age of 14. My conodolences to Dave's family and friends, and his bandmates.
flirzan

Postby sh » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:44 pm

its been said by many people already, but i will say it as well: the dead milkmen changed my life. i saw them at the troc in philly when i was in 7th grade and after that night i was in love with the dead milkmen and music in general. if it had not been for them i would probably be a business man or some bullshit like that, but instead i was introduced to the amazing world of underground rock and for that i will always be thankful. i still love dave's bass intros on so many of the early dead milkmen songs, 50 things, serrated edge, nutrition, beach party vietnam, surfin cow, there's too many to name, sooo damn good. i'm listening to do the brown nose right now hoping that it will make me happy.
sh

Sorry about the loss

Postby Largominus » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:46 pm

I have been a Dead Milkmen fan since 1986. I grew up with you guys. I am extremely sorry for the loss to his family and friends. This has been a bad week for us and our music, With the loss of Dave and John McGeoch. Two truly gifted people. Dave will be missed,
Sincerely,
Kris Stout
hmmmm
Largominus

Re: One more thing.

Postby flirzan » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:49 pm

[quote="Adhmah"]I would like to add to my earlier post.

"And when my friend and I were
done we went to rest upon the
sun 'cause life takes from us
the things, we love and robs us
of the special ones and puts
them where where we can't climb
and we only miss them all the time
And we sing..."

Thank you for changing my life. All of you.

- Adam C. Boyd
- Baby Destructo/Adhamh[/quote]

This moved me beyond words. thank you for the very appropriate epitaph.
flirzan

PreviousNext

Return to Dave Blood Memorial Thread