I bring you very sad news

The memorial thread with posts from fans.

Postby superchiva » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:14 pm

wow. i'm so sorry. i can't imagine how you and the rest of your family must feel. my condolonces.
word.
superchiva

So sorry

Postby tsteffes » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:17 pm

I've been a DM fan since the 80's. I've seen them twice and have played a few songs in my bands over the years. My wife and I sing a lot of DM songs with each other and it has always made us smile.

Making people happy is the greatest gift one person can give to another. I thank you all for that gift. I will always cheerish it.

I am so sorry for your loss.
-Tim Steffes
www.whatsnormal.com
"We gotta blow up those things we don't understand!"
tsteffes

Postby Klmal » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:18 pm

"I still use the "I don't have any arms" excuse with my son as well.

What a sad thing. Suicide is always a horrible, horrible thing. My condolences go out to the friends and the family.
Klmal

Postby PDX Cabby » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:26 pm

i am speachless
i have been a DM fan since i was in junior high 15 years ago
just last night i had burned a CD full of DM to bring in to work with me today, and as i listen, i learn this news.
its a heartbreak, to put it lightly. the last year has not been good for music lovers. when will it end.

to all family and friends, my sincerest condolences
PDX Cabby

Terrible News

Postby BlankTV » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:28 pm

Hi all,
I'm Eddie from BlankTV. Just saw the news on Punknews.org. I just wanted to let Dave's friends and family know that we're all thinking of them.
Dave was a great talent and he will be missed.
Much love,
Eddie Sunset
http://www.BlankTV.com - "dangerous music for dangerous people"
BlankTV

re: Sad News

Postby mark1gti » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:29 pm

The Dead Milkmen brought me a lot of happiness listening to their music, the lyrics, the cutting up, I wish there was a way to channel that energy into bringing him back. I hope that everyone listens to the Dead Milkmen and in doing so makes him live in their hearts again, if only for a few moments here and there.
mark1gti

Such Sadness

Postby Miesch » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:30 pm

When I was young and pimply I wanted something different to listen to. At the music store I was just walking around and this giant lizard was looking at me from a casset. I picked it up and had to buy it. Who could resist a band called the Dead Milkmen? I fell in love. I bought everything I could on cassett. Now most of them have been replaced with CDs. The band created this new world for me. I can't wait to introduce my daughter to their music.

I am deeply sorry for the loss of David Blood. My heart goes out to his family, friends and bandmates. I espcially want his sister to know that in time the pain will ease a little. My brother took his life when I was younger. Here is a poem I wrote for him and thought it might help, a little.

In darkness there is to be light
He was not able to see past the blackness
The shroud that covered his eyes and mind
Now covers that of our hearts
If you knew him well or knew him not
He touched your soul with his love and now his loss
We are left with questions and thoughts
What ifs and whys
Sorrow and pain the same as he once felt
For now we cry and protest
But in time our hearts will heal and cherish the memories
His smile, his words our personal pieces of him

Best wishes - Miesch
Miesch

Postby aldroid » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:39 pm

I only met dave once, when I interviewed the dead milkmen at one of their shows in Palo Alto california about 10 years ago. I was nervous to meet them all, as they were idols of mine since I had been in junior high (big lizard was the first album I bought that wasn't bad hair metal, and it totally changed my life). Before the interview I talked with Dave for awhile about bass playing, touring and how his hands hurt all the time. Anyway, I was still nervous as heck during the interview and I think it turned out really bad. I never used it for anything, and a few months ago I tried to figure out where I put that tape, but I couldn't find it. Anyway Dave, thanks for helping to shape me during my impressionable years, thanks for giving me bass advice, and thanks for indirectly teaching me the important things about music.

I just remembered another funny thing. Up until that point, I never noticed how short the Dead Milkmen were. I had heard Mojo Nixon refer to them as the Dead Milk Midgets, and I had even seen them live before that, but up on a stage they looked normal. In all the promo pictures I'd seen Dave always looked really tall compared to the rest of the band, so I just assumed he towered over everybody.
aldroid

Postby Red Robot!!! » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:40 pm

Good god, that is no good at all. Im so sorry that had to happen. I REALLY enjoyed the work in the Dead Milkmen, and honestly they were one of the most influencial bands in my childhood. I was listening to them the other day reminising about it. Im sad to see him go, and I would have loved to have heard them come out with more stuff. It won't be the same anymore.

They were played religously on the local radio station that I listened to in Utah, when I was a kid. I imagine that they are playing it right now in memory of such a great person. KJQ in Utah. My love to the family.
Red Robot!!!

Postby letitbe2000 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:52 pm

I wrote a little piece about Dave Blood in my music column this week.

It's down towards the bottom:
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/ ... 62445.html

I vividly remember when I was 17 years old and went to the Concord Mall in Wilmington, Delaware to buy "Big Lizard in My Backyard."

The Dead Milkmen played in Wilmington, Delaware once I believe. I think it was at Union Station and Al Albert's Army opened up. Anyone remember that show?

Nice to see that Dave and the Dead Milkmen's music made an impression on so many people.
letitbe2000

Postby Andrew » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:52 pm

I don’t know what to say. Big Lizard was one of the first records I ever bought and the Milkmen have been one of my favorite bands ever since. The best show I ever saw were the Milkmen on Halloween night 94. I could go on all day about memorizing lyrics, learning to play songs, inside jokes, tracking down footage…

All I can do is offer my condolences. This is terrible.

I can’t stress enough what this band has meant to me
Andrew

Postby Mike F » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:54 pm

I am so very sorry to hear this. The Dead Milkmen were the first punk band I listened to and I never stopped loving them. Just Tuesday night I came across my You'll Dance To Anything tape and had a couple of beers to it. I love that tape. I wish Dave would have been able to know how much many of us still love them. Rest in peace man, rest in peace. geekygirl if there is anything I can do for you, even if to just listen, feel free to ask. To the rest of the band, hang in there I know this has to be hard.

Mike
Mike F

One more thing.

Postby Adhmah » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:04 pm

I would like to add to my earlier post.

"And when my friend and I were
done we went to rest upon the
sun 'cause life takes from us
the things, we love and robs us
of the special ones and puts
them where where we can't climb
and we only miss them all the time
And we sing..."

Thank you for changing my life. All of you.

- Adam C. Boyd
- Baby Destructo/Adhamh
Adhmah

Dave R.I.P.

Postby biglizardrecords » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:06 pm

Hearing the news today of Dave's passing really hurts. The Dead Milkmen were the single most influential band on my young life. I can honestly say they made me who I am today. I feel like I've lost a family member. I only met Dave once in 1993, but meeting him and the rest of the band changed my life.
I named my business after the Dead Milkmen. Big Lizard Records has been alive and kicking for 5 years now. I even have the cow logo tattooed on my back.
This band means the world to me. They have since I first heard them back in 1987. And it's a horrible feeling to know that Dave couldn't find enough happiness knowing how much of an impact his music has made on the lives of people.
My condolences go out to Joe, Rodney, Dean, and all of Dave's family and friends. This truly is a great loss, and one that won't be forgotten anytime soon.
I hope wherever Dave is he can now see that his life was not in vain, and that so many people (some that probably never even knew him) really did love him and his work.
I'll be DJing a special Dead Milkmen memorial set at the House of Blues in Las Vegas tonight. It's the least I can do.
Rest In Peace, Dave.

Ryan Kinder
biglizardrecords

Postby colin clary » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:07 pm

I'm really sorry about this. Dave Blood, I miss you. I loved your band. I wish you were happy. I don't know what to say, but you had a big impact on my life. I still have the poster from an old DM show in Burlington, Vermont from when I was in highschool. It was on a school night. It was the first concert my mom wouldn't let me go to. I knew then that you were a cool band.

Your records always made me smile and laugh and taught me that you didn't have to be perfect to be awesome! Thank you for all your music.
Rest in peace. Your contributions to music really mattered.

Colin Clary
being nice IS a political act!
colin clary

PreviousNext

Return to Dave Blood Memorial Thread