The King in Yellow is HERE!

Here's where you read, reply and post.

Moderators: Cult Leader Lettuce, Adict4DeadMilk, johnec

me and myself with my opinions

Postby j0equ1nn » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:04 pm

First of all I hope everyone will forgive me for not reading all the prior posts before posting. I read the first page and the last page, but I just have other stuff to do today and I want to say my shit on here.

Second of all, whatever I say I want to make it clear that I LOVE the Dead Milkmen and if you guys actually read this stuff I want to thank you for doing what you've done for so long. There's been times I was going fucking crazy and your music was the only thing that sounded real to me. I also love Joe's various projects, and Burn Witch Burn is cool too. Okay, that said...

One big thing I notice is that Rodney sounds way more genuinely pissed off than he does on other albums. In this regard, I think the album is less funny than earlier ones, though not altogether unfunny. It sounds like the bullshit has finally gotten to them to a point where it is difficult to joke about, which is understandable. It would be difficult for someone to appreciate this album if they didn't agree with the particular take on society, because it's much more clear and in your face. And I do like that aspect, I just wish it were funnier at the same time.

Another thing is that I feel like the melodies are much less sentimental. I don't like that though. I feel like I usually rely on Joe's harmonies and softer vocal stylings, and moving guitar lines, to draw me in in a different way and also balance out the humor and social commentary. That rare combo is what makes the Dead Milkmen special to me. On this album it almost sounds like Joe's doing the same thing as Rodney. The one exception I would say is Hangman.

I think it's fucking awesome that Some Young Guy is on there. It's great to hear Joe singing an openly gay song on a Dead Milkmen album. If anyone doesn't like that or is offended by it, GOOD.

I actually read Commodify Your Dissent (Thomas Frank) for a college class a long time ago and really liked it and subscribed to The Baffler. I ended up never really reading The Baffler though because it was mostly a bunch of people going on and on about some shit that also pisses me off, but didn't make me feel any better or suggest anything that might be done about it. I guess it's good to point out that kind of stuff, especially to younger people getting into the music, ... it just doesn't really rock.

So.. I'm going to keep listening to the album, this is really more of a first impression obviously since it just came out. But that impression is, overall, that the Dead Milkmen are still on the same page I'm on about this retarded society, but they don't seem to have the same kind of medicine they used to have. Maybe that's not a bad thing. I'm already eager to hear what the next one's gonna sound like.

Oh, and to contribute to the favorite album dispute: mine is Eat Your Paisleys. All of them have at least a few awesome songs on them, not all of them are good all the way through. I always thought they sounded like a band that just recorded all their ideas and let you sort it out. And I like that. In fact it doesn't sound like they changed anything here in that regard.
j0equ1nn

Postby chrisnourcan » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:35 pm

I love it when Rodney gets pissed too. See you at the Warsaw then?
chrisnourcan

Postby The Rube » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:25 pm

Holy shit. This is some fine fucking music, quite possibly my favorite Dead Milkmen album since Metaphysical Graffiti (and I love 'em all)...
Dollar Draft$ - like Brownsville Station meets Guitar Wolf
The Rube

the king in yellow

Postby Terrible » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:41 am

The record is awesome!! At first listen, Caitlins Childs stood out as the catchiest tune, but when i got to know all the songs i ended up really interested by Melora Says. I also love hearing that groove pick up in the 13th Century Boy......P.S Good recording! The bass lines behind She's Affected or Can't Relax's chorus made them songs great! Actually every song brings the bass...lol (Melora Says kills me.) Long live Dead Milkmen the greatest band everr.
Terrible

Postby cagliostro » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:55 am

So....any word on obtaining the CD version yet? April is nearing completion, and some of us don't have MP3 players in our cars. Thanks!
cagliostro

Soon

Postby mrclean » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:29 am

CDs are being shipped to the warehouse as I type...I'd say in a week we should be able to offer them on the website.

Thanks for your patience.
-- Mr. Clean
mrclean
Site Admin

Re: Soon

Postby doctor love » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:02 am

mrclean wrote:CDs are being shipped to the warehouse as I type...I'd say in a week we should be able to offer them on the website.

Thanks for your patience.

fuck yea!
happy cows give sour milk.
doctor love

Postby The Rube » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:19 am

^^this is exciting news!
Dollar Draft$ - like Brownsville Station meets Guitar Wolf
The Rube

Postby Kills 99% of Germs » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:38 pm

Rodney sounds exceptionally pissed off on the new material.. Good to hear that fire back in his voice.. Turned up the angry.. Turned down the goofy..

Cold Hard Ground - great stuff......
Kills 99% of Germs

Love the new album

Postby spankymcspanker » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:47 am

What a surprise to visit the site and see a NEW ALBUM!?!?!?!? Congrats to you guys and thanks for the great songs. :D
spankymcspanker

Postby cagliostro » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:48 pm

Great news! Thanks Dean.
cagliostro

Postby cagliostro » Wed May 11, 2011 9:33 am

Okay, I've given it multiple listens, and I have to say it is damn fine album. My only criticism is about the same as j0equ1nn's, which I'll get to lyrically in just a minute. It is a much more "grown up" sound, both musically and lyrically, whatever that means. I'm starting to get favorites, which I'm sure next week will change. I'm very happy that there is more Dead Milkmen music in the world, and I look forward to more. Sorry to shit in your nest a bit here, but here is my only criticism about the album that is pretty much me being stuck in the past instead of wanting to evolve with the band. These lyrics best sum up my feelings on my initial feelings about the album, though, and are from Bob Walkenhorst of the Rainmakers, from a song called Fool's Gold.

When we were young
We went dancing
To a band at the Rink
They were so far out
Of tune and time
They didn't even blink
They were the best in the world
As far as we were concerned
I heard them two years on
It was amazing what they'd learned
Twice as cool, twice as fast
Twice as loud, twice as long
They were at least twice as good
And about half as much fun

Again, it's a meaningless comment as it would be dumb to unlearn what you've learned musically, and go back to creating songs like on Big Lizard. It's probably just me bemoaning my wasted youth.
That aside, thanks for the new album, and I know the CD will get spun quite a bit.
cagliostro

Previous

Return to Dead Milkmen