The King in Yellow is HERE!

Here's where you read, reply and post.

Moderators: Cult Leader Lettuce, Adict4DeadMilk, johnec

Postby dandrew » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:54 am

yumcake wrote:I also lost the bonus record that came with, I think, Platypus on it (and maybe the "secret song".) I loved that album and I think it's worth 5 million dollars now.


I searched every record store I went to for 10 years looking for Disco Volante on vinyl and finally found it for $20 in a little shop called ZAPPED! in Kingston, Ontario. I had heard that it had a "third" side (an extra groove on one of the sides) that played a totally unreleased song. Not true (or, I just couldn't find it). Still, it's one of my favourite albums of all time and like you said, is worth $5 million.....well, maybe not that much.

I'll check when I get home fromwork but I think the extra 7 " is "Platypus" on one side and a "Secret Chiefs 3" song on the other. Have you heard "Secret Chiefs 3" before? It's 3 of the guys from Mr. Bungle and it's amazing. Saw them live once. Incredible.
dandrew
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:58 am
Location: Earth

Postby topherpie » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:41 am

You are right about the 7" contents and the secret song is DEFINITELY there, just as I explained. Keep dropping the needle, it will eventually land in the hidden groove.
topherpie
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:51 pm

Postby mrbigtoughguychris » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:56 am

I played King in Yellow last night at dinner for my kids.
Half way through She's Affected my 10 year old daughter said, "Is this the guys who sing Rocketship?"
I am a good dad.
My 5 year old son woke up this morning and was singing Cold Hard Ground.
Kid tested, Dad Approved, if I may be so lame.
Thanks Milkmen!!!!
Damaging....errr, influencing another generation
Porn
User avatar
mrbigtoughguychris
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:49 pm

Postby dandrew » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:24 am

topherpie wrote:You are right about the 7" contents and the secret song is DEFINITELY there, just as I explained. Keep dropping the needle, it will eventually land in the hidden groove.


Shit, I didn't even see your first post about this. Sorry. But now I have something to obsess over tonight (after band practice).

Oh and P.S. - I just remembered that the reason that Disco Volante was the only record not affected by the flood was because (for some reason) it was the only record in my 100+ collection that the clear plastic cover was vertical, with the open part facing up. The rest had the open part to the side (for "conveniece").

Let that be a lesson to you "hipsters" - always keep the plastic cover thing with the opening facing up! Or, store them in something better than milkcrates in your flood-prone basement.
dandrew
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:58 am
Location: Earth

Postby yumcake » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:01 am

dandrew wrote:
I'll check when I get home fromwork but I think the extra 7 " is "Platypus" on one side and a "Secret Chiefs 3" song on the other. Have you heard "Secret Chiefs 3" before? It's 3 of the guys from Mr. Bungle and it's amazing. Saw them live once. Incredible.


I bought the vinyl version when it was first released since I was on their mailing list (I think). I heard their first album when I was in 6th grade and it completely blew my mind. I never heard anything like it at the time and it really changed my perspective on music...I think forever! (It was also around the time I got into DM) Then Disco Volante came out when I was a little older and that really just about did me in. I had the album originally on tape and then the LP came out so I just had to have that. You're right, it WAS a Secret Chiefs song on the other side. They are pretty good, too. Never saw them live, however, I did get to see Mr Bungle on their California tour. Really amazing show and I pray to Christ they do something again someday, however unlikely. Well, I guess I thought DM wouldn't do anything again either, so one could hope!

Now, what's this got to do with King In Yellow?
yumcake
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 8:43 pm
Location: Providence, RI

Postby ToterMilchman » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:31 am

User avatar
ToterMilchman
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:53 am
Location: Germany (now you know)

Postby dandrew » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:01 pm

yumcake wrote:I bought the vinyl version when it was first released since I was on their mailing list (I think). I heard their first album when I was in 6th grade and it completely blew my mind. I never heard anything like it at the time and it really changed my perspective on music...I think forever! (It was also around the time I got into DM) Then Disco Volante came out when I was a little older and that really just about did me in. I had the album originally on tape and then the LP came out so I just had to have that. You're right, it WAS a Secret Chiefs song on the other side. They are pretty good, too. Never saw them live, however, I did get to see Mr Bungle on their California tour. Really amazing show and I pray to Christ they do something again someday, however unlikely. Well, I guess I thought DM wouldn't do anything again either, so one could hope!

Now, what's this got to do with King In Yellow?


I only first heard of them when Disco Volante came out. I was 16 and someone described them as sounding like Skinny Puppy (um....hardly) so I bought the tape. I HATED the first track and didn't try listening to it for a while. When I finally made it to "Chemical Marriage" I was hooked for life. I also saw them only once, on the California tour. Wish they didn't break up. Jerks.

And it has nothing to do with The King in Yellow.
dandrew
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:58 am
Location: Earth

Postby dandrew » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:01 pm



I was wondering when you would make an appearance ;)

And with an awesome link, no less!

TIM MINCHIN FOR PRESIDENT!
dandrew
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:58 am
Location: Earth

Postby ToterMilchman » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:55 pm

but I'm still undecided.:oops:

Thanx for showing me the lyrics, Joe. Feels better.

Did I ever mention Minchin here?
User avatar
ToterMilchman
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:53 am
Location: Germany (now you know)

Postby dandrew » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:21 pm

Not until now!
dandrew
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:58 am
Location: Earth

Postby LizardPrinceEros » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:44 am

I saw Secret Chiefs 3 open for Les Claypool in Nashville a couple years ago. Good stuff....

...What was I gonna say?

Oh yeah! King in Yellow! I've listened to the first six tracks (and the first track six times, at least) now... I'm really, really blown away. To be honest, I was not expecting something this good. I thought I'd be hearing familiar chords and bass lines with new lyrics and a slightly older voice from Joe and Rodney... Good stuff, no doubt, but just a throwback to the good ol' days when Dead Milkmen roamed the earth.... Instead, I'm hearing an inspired record of fresh sounds, both familiar to the DM fan but beyond anything they might have come up before they dissolved. I'd heard that the lyrics were more mature, but I don't know if anyone has commented on how the overall sound is more mature. The instrumentation is, as I said, familiar, yet wholly original--like studying the face of a man you knew as a child, you can see how the traits have evolved into something new while retaining so much of the old.... Evolved really is the perfect word, here.

Like Lettuce said earlier, I can't tell if this will be my favorite Milkmen album or not... But dammit, I never expected I'd even have to consider it.

Vinyl controversy aside.... I really, really love this guys. The title track has been stuck in my head for days.

And Dandrew, it's good to finally hear bass lines of your own in a Milkmen song. I never expected anything but a fill-in from a new DM bassist, but you've really put your own style into the songs now, and your input is invaluable. I definitely think they found the right man for the job.

Way to go guys. Next time I find myself in the same state as you all (perhaps the Chicago show?), a round of drinks on me.
User avatar
LizardPrinceEros
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:46 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Postby dandrew » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:59 am

Wow! Thanks for the kind words! It's an awkward position for me because Dave was my bass hero and here I am filling in for him. I always had him on my mind when we were writing and recording this album. Joe swears he hears Dave's voice in the "shotglass, paperbag, bottle of wine..." part. If you ask me, his ghost is all over this album (yes, I believe in ghosts).

By the way, best line ever: "--like studying the face of a man you knew as a child, you can see how the traits have evolved into something new while retaining so much of the old...."

Thanks again and I'm glad you like it so much!
dandrew
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:58 am
Location: Earth

Postby LizardPrinceEros » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:11 am

dandrew wrote:By the way, best line ever: "--like studying the face of a man you knew as a child, you can see how the traits have evolved into something new while retaining so much of the old...."


And here I thought the best line was "drinks on me"... :)
User avatar
LizardPrinceEros
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:46 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Postby dandrew » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:59 am

LizardPrinceEros wrote:And here I thought the best line was "drinks on me"... :)


It is pretty good.

Even better if you come to the show and make it happen!
dandrew
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:58 am
Location: Earth

Postby yumcake » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:26 pm

Since this is already off topic I would like to ask why so many people diss Stoney's. I actually think it's a pretty good album with so many great songs. "Chaos Theory" is by far one of the best Dead Milkmen songs ever! I bought that album the day it came out and, yeah, it's not as good as Bucky Felini but it still has so many goddamn classics. Anybody agree with me?
yumcake
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 8:43 pm
Location: Providence, RI

PreviousNext

Return to Dead Milkmen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest