The King in Yellow is HERE!

Here's where you read, reply and post.

Moderators: Cult Leader Lettuce, Adict4DeadMilk, johnec

Postby Cult Leader Lettuce » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:59 pm

Rodney wrote:***rodney's thoughts on the matter***

Yes, I get it now. It's not going to happen. I'm not going to try to refute anything here, because at this point it will just be futile, and would waste your time as much as it would waste mine. If it's a unanimous choice on the part of the Dead Milkmen, I guess that's how it's going to be.

Rodney wrote:So, how do you like the new songs?

The new songs are damn good. I feel as if this album is more on par with Not Richard than anything else. The sound is unmistakably Dead Milkmen. Your voice, as well as Joe's, sound like they've always sounded on your albums, there is really not much sign, if any, that it's been so many years since the last album. The band also sounds like they're all happy to be doing this, and had a great time. Basically, this sounds like a Dead Milkmen album, not a "reunion album."

At the same time, there is also a lot of influence from your time with Burn Witch Burn on multiple songs, which is very good. While on the last few DM albums in the 90's, you could start to hear a lot of Touch Me Zoo in Joe's songs, you're showing ideas and styles that you've picked up during time years that the DM were on hiatus (I feel that hiatus is a better term than "broken up," because to say "broken up" would lead to the term "reunion," because douchebags like The Eagles do "reunion" tours, the Dead fucking Milkmen just fucking play when they want to play, because they're not a bunch of douchebags who hate each other).

I don't know yet if this will become my favorite Dead Milkmen album or not, although I can't really say that I have a fixed favorite either. Every album is special, and with exception of Stoney's, every album has been a favorite at one point or another. Some albums do it for me better at various points in my life than others.

So, the album is good. Damn good. While there will never be another Dave Blood, Dandrew is a great bassist, and he fits in perfectly with the Milkmen family. The album sounds like a Dead Milkmen album, but the lyrical content, as well as the music itself does not sound like a band who is "stuck in the 80's/90's," but it sounds like a group of guys who kept up with the times, and the music sounds like the band had no problem picking up where they last were.
The unofficial archivist. Keep digitizing those old recordings everybody!

Current Projects: A stack of tapes from Timothy, will be hopefully getting those finished soon! Lotsa upgrades to things that have been circulating for a while.
Cult Leader Lettuce

Postby Brian Bubonic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:46 pm

Hangings, tanned weather reporters and trepanation, oh my...
Later,
Bubonic ©
Brian Bubonic

Postby kksuck2 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:43 pm

Cult Leader Lettuce wrote:The new songs are damn good. I feel as if this album is more on par with Not Richard than anything else. The sound is unmistakably Dead Milkmen. Your voice, as well as Joe's, sound like they've always sounded on your albums, there is really not much sign, if any, that it's been so many years since the last album. The band also sounds like they're all happy to be doing this, and had a great time. Basically, this sounds like a Dead Milkmen album, not a "reunion album."

At the same time, there is also a lot of influence from your time with Burn Witch Burn on multiple songs, which is very good. While on the last few DM albums in the 90's, you could start to hear a lot of Touch Me Zoo in Joe's songs, you're showing ideas and styles that you've picked up during time years that the DM were on hiatus (I feel that hiatus is a better term than "broken up," because to say "broken up" would lead to the term "reunion," because douchebags like The Eagles do "reunion" tours, the Dead fucking Milkmen just fucking play when they want to play, because they're not a bunch of douchebags who hate each other).

I don't know yet if this will become my favorite Dead Milkmen album or not, although I can't really say that I have a fixed favorite either. Every album is special, and with exception of Stoney's, every album has been a favorite at one point or another. Some albums do it for me better at various points in my life than others.

So, the album is good. Damn good. While there will never be another Dave Blood, Dandrew is a great bassist, and he fits in perfectly with the Milkmen family. The album sounds like a Dead Milkmen album, but the lyrical content, as well as the music itself does not sound like a band who is "stuck in the 80's/90's," but it sounds like a group of guys who kept up with the times, and the music sounds like the band had no problem picking up where they last were.

I couldn't have said it any better CLL - great review.
kksuck2

Postby captainpants » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:52 am

I love the new album - congratulations guys.
Don't look at me for the answer
captainpants

Postby dandrew » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:16 am

Thanks, Lettuce for the very kind words. Even my text is blushing.
dandrew

Postby Miserichik » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:38 pm

Downloaded it this morning, listening to it while gchatting a review of each song to my fiance who is stuck at work.

"Don't trust the happy, the happy are insane." You guys are my fucking heroes. 8)
Miserichik

Postby yumcake » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:16 pm

dandrew wrote: All the jackets (with the exception of Mr. Bungle's "Disco Volante" album) were warped and smelled bad.

Oh weird. I actually lost my Disco Volante jacket in a flood. I also lost the bonus record that came with, I think, Platypus on it (and maybe the "secret song".) That record must have floated away into the neighbor's storage space, I guess. I loved that album and I think it's worth 5 million dollars now.
yumcake

Postby Rodney » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Mr. Lettuce, you made my day!
Rodney

Postby luke_bickers » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Back to the vinyl issue........i only buy vinyl unless otherwise unavailable. the i buy cd. the milkmen are the only digital i have bought in a long long long time only cuz it was the milkmen. it's too effortless and there is no physical proof. when the nuclear holocaust from japan materializes, my basement will be full of bleach water, cockroaches, me, cigarettes and my music.

vinyl typically comes out with a free download coupon now(which that plus an ipod makes a cd undesirable when you look at how excellent a record is). look at alternative tentacles. they sell brand new vinyl w/download for $12. it isn't ridiculously expensive to make. i've done it once at united record pressing in nashville.
luke_bickers

Postby chrisnourcan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:38 pm

Last edited by chrisnourcan on Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisnourcan

Postby Cult Leader Lettuce » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:41 pm

dandrew wrote:Thanks, Lettuce for the very kind words. Even my text is blushing.

You're welcome, Dandrew. Thanks for being a part of the Dead Milkmen.

Rodney wrote:Mr. Lettuce, you made my day!

Thanks! The new Dead Milkmen album made my year!
The unofficial archivist. Keep digitizing those old recordings everybody!

Current Projects: A stack of tapes from Timothy, will be hopefully getting those finished soon! Lotsa upgrades to things that have been circulating for a while.
Cult Leader Lettuce

Postby luke_bickers » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:46 pm

Also, i can't help but sense from a comment or two a hesitation for stoney's extra stout. i also have no favorite record, but i don't think any record ever fell short of excellence, stoney's being no exception. it had some extremely fantastic point to it. i hold it in as high of regards as nearly any record they have ever done, with the exception of maybe not richard dick which i am a little partial to.

on first round with this record, i can definitely say that i'm very very excited. to see this and the new slim cessna album come out in the same month is incredible, but with this being the milkmen (my all time favorite band).....it has stole anyone's spotlight and i believe deservedly so.

thanks!
luke_bickers

Postby downwithgnomes » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:38 am

Yes, I get it now. It's not going to happen. I'm not going to try to refute anything here, because at this point it will just be futile, and would waste your time as much as it would waste mine. If it's a unanimous choice on the part of the Dead Milkmen, I guess that's how it's going to be.

UM...unless I'm missing the identities of some people on the board (I maybe cause I'm new here) it seems like a unanimous decision by Rodney, cause it seems that there are other members of the band would be ok with a vinyl release. Again I might be mistaking some people's identities...if so...i apologize.
downwithgnomes

Postby topherpie » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:36 am

[quote] All the jackets (with the exception of Mr. Bungle's "Disco Volante" album) were warped and smelled bad.

Oh weird. I actually lost my Disco Volante jacket in a flood. I also lost the bonus record that came with, I think, Platypus on it (and maybe the "secret song".) That record must have floated away into the neighbor's storage space, I guess. I loved that album and I think it's worth 5 million dollars now.[/quote]

Apparently I have NO idea how to make these quotes appear properly *sigh*.

Anyway - just curious - do you guys know about the secret song on the Disco Volante vinyl? It's pretty frickin' incredible, the only way you can access it is by dropping the needle at the beginning of Carry Stress In the Jaw. Through trial and error you will eventually land the needle in a hidden grove which has the secret song. Since the groove is within Carry Stress In the Jaw, the needle will skip over the Secret Song when the record is played normally.

http://www.eeggs.com/items/2042.html
topherpie

PreviousNext

Return to Dead Milkmen