What are you listening to?

Moderators: Cult Leader Lettuce, Adict4DeadMilk, johnec

Postby Mr.Alex » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:38 am

You say that like it's a bad thing man ;)
"Do you ever go to make a pork sausage, and find that it's got hairs all over it?"
Mr.Alex

Postby The Lamp Incident » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:11 pm

Mr.Alex wrote:
The Lamp Incident wrote:
Mr.Alex wrote:Am I the only one on here that likes crust/hardcore?

I like stuff that's influenced by crust sometimes but I tend to not like the genre much in its pure form.

What bands are you into lamp?

Well, by genre I tend to gravitate towards grind, powerviolence, US hardcore (80s style or gtfo), and death metal and thrash (especially crossover) as of late also.

I really don't have anything to talk about musically with people here... :?
eh
The Lamp Incident

Postby Eve-Lau » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:09 pm

Tugena wrote:I'm really into Megadeth / MGMT / They Might Be Giants / Camper Van Beethoven at the moment.

They Might Be Giants has been a favourite band of mine for a while now. For some crazy reason though, in my mind the Johns are competing and therefore I developed this irrational "hatred" of Flansburgh (I don't really HATE him, I just find him annoying and think Linnell would be fine on his own. Actually, he IS fine on his own, State Songs is better than many TMBG albums.)

But, the truth remains that DEVO > TMBG
Ich bin der Musikant mit Taschenrechner in der Hand.
Eve-Lau

Postby dinorock » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:52 pm

Searching to replace some of my old DM CD's at the Sally Ann Store. No luck, but I found a live Little Charlie and the Nightcats, (kind of jump blues), and Count Basie Live in Newport 1957. Cool! (Megadeth coming to Saskatoon this week. I need to see if I have my jean jacket with the arms cut off, and my mullet wig!)
dinorock

Postby Eve-Lau » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:26 am

In addition to the crazy amount of DEVO, I have been listening to Neil Hamburger's "Country Winners" and also to the new Reverend Horton Heat album lately.

...but mostly DEVO.
Eve-Lau

Postby dinorock » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:31 am

Eve-Lau wrote:In addition to the crazy amount of DEVO, I have been listening to Neil Hamburger's "Country Winners" and also to the new Reverend Horton Heat album lately.

...but mostly DEVO.
A little bit obsessed? Or would that be DEVOBSESSED? :wink:
I Hope the Good Reverend comes our way soon. And I need to find the new album.
dinorock

Postby Eve-Lau » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:59 pm

dinorock wrote:
...but mostly DEVO.
I Hope the Good Reverend comes our way soon. And I need to find the new album.[/quote]

Fuck, man! You don't even know... It'd be embarrassing if I actually cared what people think. :roll: But I'm biologically programmed to go through crazy obsessive phases like that. The good thing though is although I'm a super-fan, I'm nowhere need a groupie and I don't really give a damn about their personal lives or anything.

Here's my last.fm profile, it'll give you an idea:
http://www.last.fm/user/Eve-Lau

The Rev is playing in Vancouver in August. I think there is also a date in Edmonton. Where do you live again?
Eve-Lau

Postby dinorock » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:58 pm

Eve-Lau wrote:
dinorock wrote:
...but mostly DEVO.
I Hope the Good Reverend comes our way soon. And I need to find the new album.

Fuck, man! You don't even know... It'd be embarrassing if I actually cared what people think. :roll: But I'm biologically programmed to go through crazy obsessive phases like that. The good thing though is although I'm a super-fan, I'm nowhere need a groupie and I don't really give a damn about their personal lives or anything.

Here's my last.fm profile, it'll give you an idea:
http://www.last.fm/user/Eve-Lau

The Rev is playing in Vancouver in August. I think there is also a date in Edmonton. Where do you live again?[/quote]Outside of Saskatoon.
There is a Jazz festival, that features lots of Blues artists, in Saskatoon the end of June. The Rev. would be a perfect fit. Last year they screwed up, and gave us....get this...Kool And The Gang on one of our blues Saturdays. Those were days that we used to pit in behind the Bessborough Hotel, where the stage is set up in the gardens. Holds about 2000 people. Lots of beer. Usually 4 bands. (I did get to see, and meet, Buddy Guy last year. Uber cool!)
But then they gave up one of our Saturdays for disco era re-treds. I am still pissed about that.
I see you have 'A Mighty Wind' on you music list. That is one Christopher Guest movie that I need to see.
dinorock

Postby Eve-Lau » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:44 pm

A Mighty Wind is my favourite Guest movie closely followed by Waiting for Guffman.
Eve-Lau

Postby dinorock » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:04 pm

Eve-Lau wrote:A Mighty Wind is my favourite Guest movie closely followed by Waiting for Guffman.
Best In Show. I have been dragged to many dog shows. The people are, and act, just like the people in the movie.
dinorock

Postby Eve-Lau » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:16 am

Best In Show is awesome but I feel there are a lot of unnecessary sex jokes.
Eve-Lau

Postby Mr.Alex » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:07 pm

The Lamp Incident wrote:
Mr.Alex wrote:
The Lamp Incident wrote:
Mr.Alex wrote:Am I the only one on here that likes crust/hardcore?

I like stuff that's influenced by crust sometimes but I tend to not like the genre much in its pure form.

What bands are you into lamp?

Well, by genre I tend to gravitate towards grind, powerviolence, US hardcore (80s style or gtfo), and death metal and thrash (especially crossover) as of late also.

I really don't have anything to talk about musically with people here... :?

You basicaly just described everything I listen to.
Lemme throw a few names out there: MDC, bad brains, jerrys kids, aus rotten, antischism, charles bronson, DRI, youth of today, verbal abuse, rkl, Diatribe. You into any of those bands lamp?
"Do you ever go to make a pork sausage, and find that it's got hairs all over it?"
Mr.Alex

Postby Mr.Alex » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:09 pm

And Jerrys kid is what s playing at the moment, since everybody loves them :)
Mr.Alex

Postby Eve-Lau » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:04 pm

Eve-Lau wrote:
Tadao wrote:I even bought the video game Smart Patrol when it came out. Still haven't singed up for the CotSG yet. The only DEVO I couldn't handle was Hardcore Vol. 1 I used to play that while my roommate was sleeping to piss him off.

I must admit, I don't have all of their albums. I obviously have Q. Are We Not Men, Duty Now, Freedom of Choice and New Traditionalists, but I don't have the other ones... Does that make me a bad person?

I am extremely one-track minded and will bring back the conversation to DEVO, yet again... :twisted:
I have now had the pleasure (so to speak) to listen to the DEVO albums I hadn’t heard before. (Oh, No! It’s DEVO!; Shout! ; Total DEVO ; and SmoothNoodleMaps). Here is what I think of them because people obviously care what my opinion is on the subject:
Oh, No! It’s DEVO! – I actually really, really like that one. It’s pretty cheesy and sounds very 80s but the songs are catchy as hell and a lot of fun. That’s Good is a classic, as are Peek-a-Boo!, Patterns and Big Mess. They played That’s Good at the Olympics gig and I find it has aged remarkably well. I now consider Oh, No! It’s DEVO! to be superior to New Traditionalists.

Shout! is the worst DEVO album in my opinion. R U Experienced is good, the rest is pretty boring.

Total DEVO – No noticeable track. I do sort of like “Plain Truth” but that’s about it. It’s listenable but kind of boring and a little bit bad.

SmoothNoodleMaps – I had heard such horrible things about it, I thought it was going to be the worst of their albums, but I like it better than Shout! and Total DEVO. Obviously it comes nowhere near the first five though.

So other than too much DEVO, lately I’ve been listening to Neil Hamburger, as previously mentioned, and to Pulp. I wonder when I'll get out of this DEVO phase though, it's been going on for a while and since the new album is coming out soon and there will be a subsequent tour, I can see it drag on... I would like to apologize in advance.
:wink:
Eve-Lau

Postby God's Kid Brother » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:23 am

I'm listening to Wildman Fischer at the moment.
Infant sloths normally cling to their mother's fur, but occasionally fall off.
God's Kid Brother

PreviousNext

Return to Thee Mega Thread