The Concert Thread: v2.0

Moderators: Cult Leader Lettuce, Adict4DeadMilk, johnec

Postby Adict4DeadMilk » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:33 pm

I saw Defiance Ohio play last night. The show was six bucks which was the cheapest show I have been to since the time I saw The Low Budgets for free. But before that it's the cheapest show I have been to in like a year.
When in doubt fuck it. When not in doubt, get in doubt.
Adict4DeadMilk

Postby Creepy_Old_Goat » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:52 am

Last Thursday my girlfriend and I went to see Flogging Molly. The show was great.
After the concert however, was pretty crappy. We were going to go to the concert with my girlfriends sister and another friend of ours but they couldn't get tickets... so the plan changed. We were going to call them after the concert to come get us since we were given a ride to the venue. The only problem was that they didn't realize that they had no cell phones with them. So we ended up walking around Boise in the middle of the night in the rain without jackets and not knowing where the hell we were. We finally made it back to our car about an hour later. Then the drive back to my house in Twin Falls took about hour longer than normal due to the fact that I could harldy see the road from all the stupid rain.
I walked into my bedroom and looked at the clock.... it was 2:55 AM.... which was 5 minutes before my alarm normally goes off. So then I took a shower and ate some cereal and went to work....

THE END. :D

(now this is the part where everybody says how much Flogging Molly sucks)
"Goat milk?" ~Goaty
Member# 15! :D
Creepy_Old_Goat

Postby The Lamp Incident » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:58 pm

This is the part where I say I really really don't miss working at 3 in the morning. I have gone to a couple shows, gotten home, showered, and went straight to work.
eh
The Lamp Incident

Postby Eve-Lau » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:49 pm

I saw The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets last night. They are a Vancouver-area band and they sing songs about HP Lovecraft (for the most part). They're really funny and obviously they have really good songs.

I might go see Hank Williams III in a month in Seattle. And will most definitely catch Reverend Horton Heat when they come up here in July.

Best show I saw last year was Th' Legendary Shack*Shakers. I don't know if I"ve been on here since then...
Ich bin der Musikant mit Taschenrechner in der Hand.
Eve-Lau

Postby Eve-Lau » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:15 pm

So I went to see Hank III last night in Seattle. It was a great show, and what a performer! He sang a couple of songs (2 or 3) with the opening band, and then went on to play for amost 3 hours without a break with his band(s). His set was divided in three parts, the first part was country songs (though his type of country is usually fast, like bluegrass mixed with punk), then there was a "hellbilly" set, which was basically the same line up but with the addition of another singer, and the subtraction of the steel pedal and banjo. So basically, just the upright bass, the fiddle, the guitar and the drums. And then the fiddler left and the upright bass was replaced by a regular electric bass and he played his metal/hardcore/punk rock set. They covered a Ministry song (Stigmata), which was cool to hear live because Ministry themselves really ruined it when I saw them a couple of years ago (worst live band I've ever seen).
So yeah, I had a great time.

Next show is probably going to be Nomeansno.
Eve-Lau

Postby kksuck2 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:48 pm

Eve-Lau wrote:Next show is probably going to be Nomeansno.

yeah - they're coming through my town in the upcomming weeks - I guess on the way back the Hanson Brothers are doing a show - kinda wish it was a nomeansno/hansons double bill - but hey - two good shows within a few weeks of each other - can't complain
kksuck2

Postby Eve-Lau » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:51 pm

kksuck2 wrote:

yeah - they're coming through my town in the upcomming weeks - I guess on the way back the Hanson Brothers are doing a show - kinda wish it was a nomeansno/hansons double bill - but hey - two good shows within a few weeks of each other - can't complain

Yeah the Hanson Brothers played here in December, it was a lot of fun, I had seen Nomeansno play many many times (one of the perks of living in Vancouver) but I had never seen them play as the Hanson Brothers. A double bill would be cool! Do you know who is opening?
Also, I know a guy named Ford Pier is coming your way this Spring, and I strongly suggest you go see him live if you have a chance, he's great! He's a friend of Nomeansno (and was in Showbusiness Giants with Tom Holliston) and his own music is great. His backing band is really good too.

On an unrelated note, here's a picture I took at the Hank III show :

Eve-Lau

Postby wad » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:26 am

It's great to see Hank III doing what he's doing! His grandpa was a badass and he's certainly following suit.

The magic question... what the hell happened to Hank Jr?!? I could never stand that dude. Redneck poster child.
wad

Postby Eve-Lau » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:29 am

wad wrote:It's great to see Hank III doing what he's doing! His grandpa was a badass and he's certainly following suit.

The magic question... what the hell happened to Hank Jr?!? I could never stand that dude. Redneck poster child.

I guess whatever the great Hank Sr. and also Hank III have/had going for them skips a generation.
III is great but no one beats Sr. :D
Eve-Lau

Postby kksuck2 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:37 am

Eve-Lau wrote:
kksuck2 wrote:

Yeah the Hanson Brothers played here in December, it was a lot of fun, I had seen Nomeansno play many many times (one of the perks of living in Vancouver) but I had never seen them play as the Hanson Brothers. A double bill would be cool! Do you know who is opening?

the Hansons have been here a handful of times - they used to have Hockey Night in Canada open up at before their set, I remember one time their mailing list was masked as a petition against the instigator penalty LOL. The last I saw them I think the line up was The Shitty's, Hanson Brothers, Fishbone. As for openers for the nomeansno gig - I'm pretty sure it's gonna just be a few local bands - as far as I know it's all TBA at this point. I'm hoping my friends' band 'Red Devil' gets one of the slots.

I hope nomeansno is doing the 'two drummers at the same time' thing -it's legendary.

I'll keep an eye out for Ford Pier - haven't seen him listed at venues yet - but then maybe again I have and just didn't notice.
kksuck2

Postby Eve-Lau » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:45 pm

kksuck2 wrote:the Hansons have been here a handful of times - they used to have Hockey Night in Canada open up at before their set, I remember one time their mailing list was masked as a petition against the instigator penalty LOL. The last I saw them I think the line up was The Shitty's, Hanson Brothers, Fishbone. As for openers for the nomeansno gig - I'm pretty sure it's gonna just be a few local bands - as far as I know it's all TBA at this point. I'm hoping my friends' band 'Red Devil' gets one of the slots.

I hope nomeansno is doing the 'two drummers at the same time' thing -it's legendary.

I'll keep an eye out for Ford Pier - haven't seen him listed at venues yet - but then maybe again I have and just didn't notice.

The Shitty's a pretty funny, Nomeansno/Hanson Bros old sound guy Craig is in the band, if I am not mistaken.

I am 110% sure that NMN will not do the two drummers thing. They did it for one tour in the 90s and it was meant to be temporary. I think they would like to do it again sometimes, but it is more expensive and more complicated to carry around two drum sets and have to pay another guy, so I think that they reluctantly abandoned the idea, for a while at least.

Here are Ford's dates for Ontario :
13 Mar 2009 20:00
The Merchant St. Catherine’s, Ontario

15 Mar 2009 20:00
Black Dog Bayfield, Ontario

16 Mar 2009 20:00
The Casbah Hamilton

19 Mar 2009 20:00
The Mansion (w/Chris Brown) Kingston, Ontario

20 Mar 2009 20:00
Phog Lounge Windsor, Ontario

21 Mar 2009 20:00
The Spill (w/ Wax Mannequin and Burton Glasspool Overdrive) Peterborough, Ontario

24 Mar 2009 20:00
Dakota Tavern Toronto, Ontario

you should definitely try and see him if you can!!!
Eve-Lau

Postby kksuck2 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:50 pm

It's likely Ford isn't coming here then - generally it would be the day following Winnipeg on the TransCanada Highway tour route - If he's traveling by Van - he has to come through here - but alot of bands just drive through - Thunder Bay is a 'stop and get gas' town - we do miss alot of acts- but the acts we get we love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9qPUKxGdc0
kksuck2

Postby MangTheGoat » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:53 pm

Last Saturday I saw Misstallica (all female tribute to Metallica) and Tragedy (a metal tribute to the Bee Gees). Both were amazing, but I will always like Tragedy better. Video from the show in Allston can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/user/amek3333

I've had their cover of "Woman in Love" stuck in my head for days.
"Nobody likes a quitter. Nobody said that life was easy, so if you get knocked down, take the standing 8 count, get back up and fight again and you're a Macho Maniac. Dig it!" -Macho Man Randy Savage
MangTheGoat

Postby MangTheGoat » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:57 pm

Oh yeah, the Saturday before that I saw Spinal Tap Unwigged and Unplugged in Boston. They did songs of Spinal Tap and the Folksmen (A Mighty Wind). One of the best shows I have EVER been to. Sometimes when you see a band you have loved for years, you leave a show saying "I wish they played _______" but I left this show feeling I got everything I could have wished for music-wise.
"Nobody likes a quitter. Nobody said that life was easy, so if you get knocked down, take the standing 8 count, get back up and fight again and you're a Macho Maniac. Dig it!" -Macho Man Randy Savage
MangTheGoat

Postby The Lamp Incident » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:09 pm

I went to a house show in Greensboro last weekend and got pushed into a window, which proceeded to break. Good times.
eh
The Lamp Incident

PreviousNext

Return to Thee Mega Thread