I bring you very sad news

The memorial thread with posts from fans.

kathy

Postby johns » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:50 pm

kathy,

i wouldnt even know what to say, other than im sorry.
may you and your family...and dave...find peace.
god bless....

john - new york
johns

My Condolences

Postby Rhyno » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:52 pm

It's funny, as a musician whenever you see other musicians play you tend to notice what equipment they use to get a certian sound. I've always found the sound of Dave Bloods bass to be very "Unique" in a way. To my surprise when I visited this website in the past they listed the exact equipment Dave used on his recordings and live. A lot of the same equipment I've also used. Even down to the same gauge size bass strings. I still could never get the same sound as him no matter what I tried. I guess that will be one trick he will always know. One other trick that Dave was part of was being a member of Dead Milkmen. Unlike his bass sound I was able to figure this one out though. "The trick was to make you smile and enjoy life right?" For thats what Dave and the other members of Dead Milkmen did. No matter how bad you felt or how shitty your day was going, if you heard a Dead Milkmen song you couldn't help but smile. I had always hoped of a reunion to try and figure out that bass sound. I'm sorry I'll never get that chance. My condolences to Dave's family, band members, and fans.
Last edited by Rhyno on Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhyno

Postby jason_k » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:53 pm

I wanted to say how sad I was to hear about this. Though I didn't know him as a person, all of us who grew up listening to the Dead Milkmen know what a talented person and a fantastic performer Dave was. He touched a lot of people with his music. For me personally, he and his band helped make being a young, awkward punk bearable and a lot more fun.

I just wanted to send my sincere condolences to his friends and family.
jason_k

Dave story...

Postby cmichael » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:00 pm

I met dave around 1985 at a Milkmen show in Boston. Before the show I was walking to the bathroom when I spied Dave walking in the same direction. We walked together to the bathroom and peed side by side at the urinals. I remember he was rather quiet but friendly. I ask you, how many bass players are so cool that they pee with their fans?
cmichael

not sure what to say

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:02 pm

first of all suicide is the plague of the creative world... it feels like a punch
in the gut every time I think of how many brilliant souls have been cut
down this way.

I happened to be a freshman in highschool in 1983, I was complete geek
and first heard the Dead Milkmen through my friend Jami who somehow
had a huge music collection. (He also showed my two other great bands
with Dead in the name, the Dead Kennedies and Millions of Dead Cops).
And to highlight the randomness of the world, there was actually a little
teeny kid in our school who was even geekier than me and his name was
Dave Blood. Haha he was in the school band and I think he played the sax.
(But I'm sure there was no relation)

Anyway, I have no idea why I'm saying this stuff. I guess death makes
you stop and think back. Jeez. Well Dave, we sure will miss you.
jasonc

Postby ben snakepit » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:03 pm

When I was 13 and I first got Bucky Fellini, I wrote the band a fan letter, and Dave replied to me personally. I framed the letter and it's still on my wall to this day. I got to meet him a few years later at a show, and he was a really nice guy. I am heartbroken.
ben snakepit

Wow

Postby El_Jawa » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:04 pm

I can't even begin to verbalize how much this band meant to me when I was growing up.

They played a show at Club Post Nuclear in Lauguna beach, CA. on Presidents Day...must have been 89? It was a free concert and my friends and I got there early enough to get front row when the doors opened.

The band rocked, the concert was great. My little brother was with at the time, he was all of 13 years old. At the end of the concert, Dave gave him a guitar pick. A picture was taken at the concert that ended up in the inside cover of the Live at the Trocadero album. You can clearly see my brothers face.

Later on in life my brother got luekemia. He's never going to be the same, but he still has that guitar pick on his dresser.

Thanks Dave.
El_Jawa

My sincere condolences

Postby emily28 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:06 pm

Kathy,

I learned about David's death over on the Pete Yorn message board...
I was deeply saddened to hear the news and I am very sorry for your loss.

I know the struggle of dealing with a parent's death...my father died last April...

Here is what I posted on PY's site...but I had to come over here and share it with you.

It is really difficult losing a parent...
I have struggled deeply with the loss of my father.
Your life changes in many ways, some very obvious
and some quite subtle...
it's inalterably different and it takes time to adjust.

Everyday, I am grateful for the support
I have received from family and friends.

I wish David's family strength and love to comfort them
in the months and years ahead.

I know this is doubly hard on you...I wish you strength and love...

Emily
emily28

Postby mendicant » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:12 pm

Good luck in whatever comes next, Dave.

Your music is an inspiration to us all.
mendicant

Postby geek » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:20 pm

oh my god that is the sadest news i heard in a long time my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and loved ones music has lost another great talent god bless you hope to see you in the after life take care till i see you there
geek

so sad

Postby tert » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:22 pm

i'm so saddened to hear this news. first, my thoughts are with dave's family, closest friends, and bandmates, particularly his sister. it is impossible for me to imagine her feelings at the moment. i'm still in shock. dave touched the lives of many not only with his music but through his work and love of serbia.

a music fan for years, the milkmen were the first group in ever embraced in 6th grade. now 30 years old, i'm still as huge a fan as ever. just this morning, prior to hearing this, i offered to get a copy of big lizard for a friend who'd never heard of the milkmen. i have too many thoughts to share here about my love of the group and dave that all come attached with smiles and laughs. my memory of dave will be no different but at the moment i can't help but feel so sad. so sad.

all the best to you closest to dave.
tert

Thanx for all the memories

Postby kevinito666 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:23 pm

I grew up listening to your music. Now as I am 32 years old it saddens me to know that a small part of my youth is gone. I will drink a bottle of wine 2night as I listen to your music.
kevinito666

R.I.P. Dave

Postby pike27 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:31 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this has happened. My thoughts and prayers are with Dave's family and friends.
Warm Regards,
Paul
pike27

Postby deadfiller » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:35 pm

Wow, what to say when everything already has been? Condolences to family, friends, and fellow fans. Quite a loss.
deadfiller

DAVE... A GREAT LOSS TO MUSIC AND HISTORY.

Postby TAMPABAYYANKEE » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:36 pm

HAVING GROWN UP IN THE PUNK SCENE IN MAINE DURING THE LATE 70'S .. IT WAS REFRESHING THAT A YOUNG BANK HAD THE GUTS TO DO WHAT THE MILKMEN DID. DAVE WILL BE MISSED GREATLY. HE WAS AN INSPIRATION TO MANY YOUNG AND TALENTED BASSISTS. MAY HIS MEMORY STAY WITH US FOR ALL TIME.

MIKE
OLD SCHOOL PUNK KICKS BUTT
TAMPABAYYANKEE

PreviousNext

Return to Dave Blood Memorial Thread