I bring you very sad news

The memorial thread with posts from fans.

Dave you will always be with us!

Postby Troynado » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:16 pm

Everyone,
This is a sad day. I went to www.deadmilkmen.com, to see if there was any new news about my favorite band in the universe, and I find out the awful truth. I also play in a band similar to The Dead Milkmen I play Bass guitar. I looked up to dave, I tryed learning all of his bass lines, and I also think that my band is taking off from where The dead milkmen left off. The Dead Milkmen were an very strong influnce on me and every one else in my band. ****DAVE YOU ALWAYS RULE #1 IN MY BOOK! ********

_Troyndo
Troynado

Postby David Herzog » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:25 pm

I've had a heavy heart since reading about Dave's death in the New York Times over the weekend. I can't come up with the words that match my sadness.

I met Dave through Joe Genaro, who lived in my dorm at Temple and was putting the band together back in the early 80s. Over the years, I got to see the band and get to see what a great guy he was. He was into the band and into people. The world need more guys like Dave.

It's funny: I read band profiles that run in the local papers (here in Columbia, Missouri) and I've spotted so many young musicians who say The Milkmen were one of their influences. That is so cool, that Dave, Joe, Dean and Rodney contiune to have such an impact on these young 'uns.

It's also so nice to read on this web site how many people Dave touched personally by talking, listening, just being there. What a legacy.

Dave has a gentle soul, and now it is at peace. Blessings and love to you Dave.

I give my thoughts and love to Dave's bandmates, family, and extended family. You're all in my prayers.

Dave Herzog
dherzog@nicar.org
David Herzog

Hold on, Kathy... (my deepest regrets to you)...

Postby Suzanne City » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:22 pm

Kathy and all the guys from the band,

I knew the Milkmen back in the 80s. Thoughts of Baccanal, Dobbs, Doc
Watson's... rubbing elbows at Revival... all the good times. The guys, in
part, inspired me to move on and get down to business with music. The
Philly scene is a temperamental place, up and down every five, or so it
seems. During the 90s, I was in two bands; the scene seemed to revive
itself on some level. Since I've been out on my own, it's been very hard to
hold onto the possibility of joining up again, playing and writing lyrics
again. But the thing is this: ya have to stick together. Not necessarily as
within a past band, but the musical community as a whole. I only wish I
knew Dave felt the way he did. Myself and I am sure dozens of other
musicians are out here, wanting to jam, up for trying it all. There's been
too much silence on the Philly rock scene and I feel a change in the wind.
But if we all don't get out there together, how are we going to teach these
new upstarts, these bands modelling themselves after Blink 182 instead of
The Clash? Ah, I'll digress. But Dave, the Milkmen, so many wondrous
bands of the era mean a ton to me, still and always. He was always so
interesting to watch, Dave was. I will miss him in my way, as will everyone
who knew him, knew of him.

I went through much the same, 10 years ago this Spring. My guitarist lost
his sister, then took his own life only a few months later. He was also my
partner. It is dark and swirling, but cling, grasp, hold onto for dear life, to
your friends, family, acquiantances, doctors, anyone you want. It's how life
saves you from yourself, from your torture. I carry him every day, but
somehow I make it through and, maybe because I carry him, I get
stronger. I am so very endlessly sorry Kathy, that you have to go through
it, that Dean, Joe, and Rodney have to endure it as well. But get through it
together.

Take care and bless,
Suzanne
"And I'm gonna do something won't hold my tongue
...Oh my brain I got to complain
You can refrain but I'm gonna do something
How long how long will we make do
Maybe it's time to break on through"
-Patti Smith
Suzanne City

family

Postby woods » Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:15 pm

to everyone reading and posting...

my cousin and i were both about ten when my brother unearthed a copy of "big lizard" from somewhere. one of my favorite parts as a ten year old was the laughter at the end of "takin retards to the zoo." i'm glad to say i haven't matured at all.

it never crossed my mind to even consider the emotions of losing one of the guys. it hurts. i know some of you are also finding it difficult to talk about this with friends and family who aren't fans. i know i've been wondering how they'll take my reaction.

my cousin told me that reading all these replies helped. so i did. some might say we're a cult following. i'd prefer to use the word "family." now i know what family to talk to about this.

i've always been interested in tattoos, but have always been weary of getting one due to whatever reason. well, someday some guy with an awkward frame might want to compare dead milkmen tattoos with you. just humor him because it'll be me.

thank you for reading. i'll see you at the service.
woods
woods

My condolences

Postby infantofprague67 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:45 pm

Hi,
I wanted to express my deepest sympathy to Dave's family and former bandmates. I have been a fan of the Milkmen since 1986 and have seen many of their shows. I am both shocked and saddened by the news, but will remember Dave fondly every time I play my Milkmen records or recall one of their shows. He will live on forever in his music, those way rad basslines, and I am sure in many other special ways to those who knew him personally.
Now, I am going to go crank up Nutrition and some Swordfish.
Take care,
Steve
infantofprague67

Cousin Dave

Postby Claire » Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:48 pm

My name is Claire, maiden name Buckley. I am Dave's cousin. His Dad and my Dad were cousins. We grew up together visiting each other's families over the years and I used to brag about Dave and his band to whoever I could. I am so saddened to hear about this loss especially for David's family. My heart and my prayers go out to Dave, Sr., Kathy, Joe & Kurt.
Claire

Dave

Postby BigLizard15 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:23 pm

Dave was one of my idols. I respected him in all aspects as a musicians. Although i did not have the privilege to meet him personally i truly wish i could have. This day will always remain as a blank space in my heart due to the loss.
BigLizard15

...!

Postby jacksmiley » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:27 pm

my heart-felt condolences & warm wishes for family & friends.

the dead milkmen were such a formative band for me, wayyy back to middle school days... "big lizard" helped me realize you could be both utterly silly AND rock out at the same time... many of today's self-important rock stars could learn a lot from the DM catalogue.

i was just looking at the discography on the site here and i was shocked how many of those song titles instantly turned into melodies in my brain, still stuck in my head after all these years. a few weeks ago i did a rock-dj bar gig and one of the best responses i got all night was when i slapped on "i walk the thinnest line"--the room lit up and five people immediately started loudly singing along... what more can i say?
jacksmiley

Dave

Postby Steve Budget » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:01 pm

My deepest sympathies to everyone, especially to Joe and Kurt. I know that Kurt loved his brother very deeply often saying Dave was his hero. I've never seen Joe so sad. I wish I could have met him, not just because he created some of the best bass lines ever written, and not because his interviews yielded some of the funniest one liners in history. I wish I could have met him because anyone I know who did had nothing but positive things to say about him. There aren't many people in this world that have earned that respect
Steve
Steve Budget

Postby Big Lizard3 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:37 pm

I'm in shock. This is the saddest thing ever. This is the only time I've been sad about the death of a musicican. I am very, very sad.
Guy Sunshine
Big Lizard3

sad ballad

Postby bigbuckyf » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:53 pm

i heard the news of daves passing as me and my band were jamming, i won't befoul this post with a shameless plug but, we started playing a song that none of us knew. it was entitled the death of dave, the death of rock and roll. the song went on for 20 some minutes. afterwards we threw on the smoking banana peels tape and went straight to the song i hate myself. no one said a word . it just didnt seem as funny anymore.
shub up
bigbuckyf

Postby Set_them_on_fire » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:04 pm

Yah that is true. Me and my friends were playing a game not to long ago. And we called it guess the Dead Milkmen song. ((says it all in the name)) By the end my friends who didn't know the milkmen were dancing and singing. I just sat on the bed. It is less funny when you know that Dave is dead.
Set_them_on_fire

wow

Postby milo still in high school » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:25 pm

i havent posted on here in a long time. i just came on the site today and read the sad news. i just taught myself some dead milkmen bass lines last thursday and was listening to Big Lizard in My Backyard when i dropped my mom off at work today. this really got me down. he is one of my main inspirations for playing bass.

i'm very sorry for everyone who knew him. i didnt know him, but it still hits me kind of hard. rest in peace.
Someone stop me cause Im falling outta place
Is this the best of me why cant I see my face?
Ill find this journey and get control of my own life
Away from here
milo still in high school

Postby Mister Yamamoto » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:17 am

Damn :(
Comrade Mr. Yämamøto the REAL one
(look for the can in the plain brown can)
http://mryamamoto.50megs.com
The 800 lb Schnäuzer of Road Sites!
http://infoshop.org
Mister Yamamoto

Postby eastwest » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:58 am

i'd like to join others in expressing sadness about david's passing. my deepest condolences to family members and friends who are reading this.

among many, many things i remember about david is how he, together with my sister in law, who did south slavic studies with him, made me see some positive aspects of my country of origin (former yugoslavia, obviously). i returned from my one-year stay in budapest to belgrade very reluctantly in the summer of 1998. mostly what i felt about my country at that time was shame and anger because of the bloody wars and fascist politics that were in power. soon after i returned that summer, david landed in belgrade. and somehow, walking and talking with david those days, i started to understand that yugophile passion of his. he always remained critical of the terrible stuff from the balkan history (distant and recent past alike), but that didn't stop him from admiring the good stuff from that culture. even though i still feel the anger/shame about my country, i can thank david for letting some positive feelings about it back into my heart. starting with the little things like being grateful for the local flavors of bread, burek, sljivovica, etc., to maybe even claiming my yugoslav identity in my own personal way, demanding it back from those who made me ashamed of it. it's very complicated. the point is that david, without even trying, with just being himself, played a key role in my coming to terms with the geography and history that shaped me for better and for worse. for that, and many other reasons, i'll never forget him.

snezana
eastwest

PreviousNext

Return to Dave Blood Memorial Thread