I bring you very sad news

The memorial thread with posts from fans.

Postby johnec » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:20 am

Here is a email message I sent to John In The Morning at KEXP Seattle.

John,

I found out last night that Dead Milkmen's bass player Dave Blood took his life.
This is so sad news for all the DM fans out there. Dave was an amazing bass player
with thick bass lines.

Dave's sister posted a message about this on the DM's message board:
http://www.deadmilkmen.com/dmffa/viewtopic.php?t=1064

After the Dead Milkmen disbanded around 1995, Dave went back to college
and later moved Yugoslavia prior to the US bombing. The US involvement
forced Dave to move back to the States. Dave seemed truly happy
living in his homeland in Yugoslavia.
Dave will be missed and leaves us with the tunes of the Dead Milkmen.

MF: johnec

KEXP 90.3 FM Seattle
http://www.morningfaithful.com

http://www.deadmilkmen.freeservers.com
johnec

Dave

Postby frankenslade » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:38 am

I just read the news. I'm so sorry to hear this. Just the other night I laughing while telling my wife about a fun old time I had with Dave. He and the rest of the band were so good to me and my bandmates. I'll never forget his kindness and humor. This version of "Rock 'n Roll Queen" goes out to you.

Jim
frankenslade

Dave

Postby Art Di Furia » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:40 am

...is a great guy, whether he's in this world, or the next.

When I started playing in bands in Philly, he and the other Milkmen
welcomed me.

I was just this scared kid, but all Dave wanted to do was hang out with me.
He'd call and call and call! It didn't even matter to him that he was in the
biggest band in Philly at the time. He just wanted to have fun, and make
me feel welcome in Philly.

Those memories of kindness are his legacy to me: I've always tried to
make kids in bands feel less intimidated, just like Dave (and Dean,
Rodney, and Joe) did for me.

I love you, Dave. Art
Art Di Furia

Dave

Postby Andrew Chalfen » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:38 am

What Art said about Dave just being naturally friendly and supportive is so true. Not just to other bands, but to everybody. He was a sweetheart, tremendously funny, a great roommate, and took his bass playing and band responsibilities really seriously, which is a testament to how important the band was in his life. He would be boiling his bass strings while I was just getting up for breakfast. His enthusiasm was contageous, whether it be about a new song, a big gig, showing off his stereo (he was quite the hi fi geek), crank phone calls, black nail polish, some gawd-awful health food, you name it. Most special for me was Dave Blood, the bassist in the coolest Philly band, calling me up just to talk and hang out. On the off chance there is an afterlife, Dave, give Jim Morrison a giant wedgie for me.

Andrew
Andrew Chalfen

Postby elvissinatra » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:45 am

That's so sad. The Milkmen were one of the most influential bands to me when I was in high school. I bought a bass when I was 16 and the first song I learned was "Serrated Edge." Dave's intros were always so cool. You immediately knew you were listening to the Dead Milkmen. Sad, sad, sad.
elvissinatra

Just found out about them

Postby robin-da-hood » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:07 am

Dude, this must suck for all of you. I just found out about this band when I heard about his death, and they played two song of theirs, and they rule!! sort of a younger, more enthusiastic version of TMBG
I Steal From the brain to give to the soul

Robin -Da- Hood
robin-da-hood

Postby TonyVincenti » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:10 am

Hello everyone, this is the person behind Big Time Operator. I didn’t feel right posting as BTO in this thread stating my true emotions. BTO is just a character I created and 99% of the time doesn’t represent who I really am as a person.

Since waking up this morning and reading about the passing of Dave, The world just doesn’t seem right anymore. Like a lot of people I have questions that I know will never be answered in this lifetime. I always saw Dave as a person I could aspire to be. He was smart, intellectual, and a world traveler. Dave to me seemed like a man who was not all talk but a man who stood behind his every word and accomplished anything he had his heart on. Like most people in here, I never knew Dave, except through his music and various interviews I have read. I will always remember Dave for playing in my favorite band. Something I will be eternally grateful for.

The feelings I have right now are a jambalaya of sorrow, anger and even some slight bits of happiness. Happiness over the fact the inner pain Dave was enduring in this world are now over. It is my belief that no one should encounter any form of prolonged pain while they are alive whether it be physical or mental due to the short time we are on this earth.

I know everyone here has very different religious views, but I have prayed countless times since first learning of the news that Dave is in a better place and one day I might hear him play his bass guitar one more time.

So Dave, Thank you for everything. The music, the inspiration and most of all for you the good person you were. The music you made provided the soundtrack for my life and will continue to do so. I wish you well and will keep you in my prayers.

I certainly hope he has finally achieved the inner peace he has been searching for and send my condolences to his family and friends.

Sincerely

Tony Vincenti
aka BigTimeOperator
TonyVincenti

I'm still in shock

Postby daveholden » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:43 am

I just heard about Dave's death on 107.7 the End. My name is Dave
Holden. I knew David from my days at Enigma Canada. I remember
getting a late-night phonecall from Dave... he was excited about how
their new album was going... "We're actually learning to play our
instruments!!!", he gushed. We became friends. Whenever the Dead
Milkmen came to town, we'd hang. Last time we saw each other was in
Portland at La Luna. I brought a friend and Dave let us eat, compliments
of the promoter, of course. When Dave and I saw each other in
Vancouver the last time, he explained tho me that as a guest in our
country, he felt it inappropriate to jaywalk. I found his refusal to
deliberately break laws as a guest quite amusing, but I gained some
insight into Dave's mind. the last time we spoke was via e-mail. He was
in Yugoslavia as all hell broke loose. He explained to me that it was an
experience that he needed to have as Americans have it far too easy. I
recently bought a new computer and am back online. It had recently
crossed my mind to try to catch up with Dave again. I wish I was a little
faster off the mark. This will have to do, I guess: Dave, It was a
pleasure knowing you. You enriched my life. You treated me with
respect. The world needs more people like you, not less. I suppose I'll
never understand why you made the choice to end it, maybe we'll catch
up one day, perhaps you can enlighten me- maybe you know something
I don't. I know life can suck sometimes, but I can't understand- was it
really that bad? For a while I'll try to understand why. Then, eventually
I'll have to stop trying to understand. I already know I never will. You
are missed already. I wish I had a chance to say goodbye. Thanks
Dave. Thank you just for having been.

Dave.
daveholden

A great loss

Postby poesy_nyc » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:47 am

I listen to KEXP via the Internet, and thanks mostly to John, I was introduced to and became a fan of the Dead Milkmen. Their music just seems to make the day go by faster, even if remotely so, by way of the radio. I was greatly saddened to hear about Dave's departure, but was stunned even further to find out Dave was Yugoslavian. I grew up in Yugoslavia, and am deeply moved to know that Dave found solace in his last years in a place that is my homeland as well. I'm crying as I write this, and I would just like to express my deepest condolences to the other Milkmen, Kathy, and Dave's family. Primite nase saucesce i drzite se, sutra je novi dan. Neka ga Bog cuva, na boljem je mestu.
poesy_nyc

Postby Eeek » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:07 pm

Man, I am sorry to hear that. I hope the best for you and yours.
Eeek

Postby cribbage » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:08 pm

my heart and condolences go out to his family and his milkmen family. i'm sorry.
infinity sprials out creation
cribbage

Postby Seven » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:11 pm

David was like a big brother, always willing to listen, sincerely concerned when it was called for, always ready to talk. How David liked to talk! He'd call from time to time to keep in touch and he'd talk to me or my wife for hours. And how the time flew! There was never a lull or a dull moment when he engaged you in conversation. It was one of his many gifts, and a blessing to our ears and minds. He had a way of broadening your perception and clarifying anything that came up in conversation.

Now our hearts ache and our minds are reeling from the news. David gave so much of himself and I know he enjoyed those moments in his life. Playing music that made people happy clearly made him happy. A lot of things made him happy in his last years. I'm sad it wasn't enough to keep him here with us.
Seven

Postby MangTheGoat » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:39 pm

This didn't even seem real last night. I kinda accepted it, but with a raised eyebrow of suspicion. I went to bed hoping for the best.
After reading all these posts about how awesome Dave was, it hits me and I start to tear up again.
Once again, thanks Dave and the rest of the Milkmen.
MangTheGoat

Postby Eve » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:42 pm

I am so very, very sorry. To his family and to the band. How awful. I don't even know what to say, other than he will be missed. He brought many people lots of happiness and fun.

You are all in my thoughts.

xxoo,

Eve in Tampa
Eve

A hero has fallen.

Postby Adhmah » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:04 pm

This man and his band have a very personal and deep meaning in my life. I remember when I was a child and asked to carry wood from the pile to the campsite and my brother would explain to use that he "was affraid he couldn't do that". We accordingly asked why. And with a sudden roar and group reply from the family it was such....."BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE ANY ARMS!!! AHH!!!"

Please accept my deepest sympathy. I have to make some calls now.

- Adam C. Boyd
- Baby Destructo/Adhamh

P.S. Please notify me if any funds or the like are started in Dave's name.
Adhmah

PreviousNext

Return to Dave Blood Memorial Thread