I bring you very sad news

The memorial thread with posts from fans.

Very sorry to hear...

Postby KenK » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:12 pm

Being from Philly and the Rodman Street / West Philly scene back in the '80s, of course I'm very sad to hear about Dave's passing. Dave was a real nice guy, very well liked. The band I was in occasionally played Club Pizzaz and other shows with the Dead Milkmen, and it was always a fun time... a sort of an upbeat, giddy type of experience.

Anyway, it's a sad day in Philadelphia: My condolences and my respects to Dave's family and friends.
KenK

Postby turbine » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:12 pm

The Dead Milkmen were a huge part of my life growing up in DC. They were the first band I saw at the 9:30 club and I can't even count how many times I saw them after that. They had a huge influence on my life and I talked to Dave a number of times after shows. I'm very sad to hear this news and I know many of my friends and I associate a lot of our experiences in late 80's to early 90's with The Dead Milkmen. We'll sorely miss Dave and I offer my condolences to his family and friends.
turbine

?

Postby scaryfknclown » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:14 pm

oh my god.
"don't worry lads, i always poo before i get up."
scaryfknclown

Location: in the shadow of the biggest fuckin needle you'll ever see.

Postby Franchezka » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:16 pm

best wishes to the family. friends. deadmilkmenlovers.
//
Franchezka

bye dave

Postby muffinslinger » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:19 pm

i don't know what to say. the dead milkmen have been such a huge part of my life for so long. i am a milkdud. so very sad.
muffinslinger

Just signed up today, when I heard the news.

Postby whoisalhedges » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:20 pm

I didn't even know this board existed, but a friend of mine sent the link to the announcement of Dave's death.

I don't know what to say, really. I didn't know Dave, I had only spoken to him a couple of times. Many of the other posters on this thread are his friends and his family. To you, I send my best. I grieve for your loss -- Dave always struck me as a good guy, and I know what it's like to lose someone you love.

To the other fans: all we can do tonight is play the music. Play, play, play, until you fall asleep from too much singing along. That's how I want to be remembered when I go.
whoisalhedges

Postby brilliant sun » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:29 pm

A few years ago, I lost a family member to suicide. It was an incredibly horrible time, but after working through the anger, I could forgive their pain and heal a little bit. I know they're in a better place, and I hope that whatever higher power is kinda swirling things around up there will let us be together one day. That's only fair.
brilliant sun

Postby Angry Canine » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:33 pm

This is such bad news.
Dave was a part of so much fun at so many shows over the years.
Fifteen years after I first heard them, I still listen to them all the time.
There's nothing you can really do with words to make something like this OK.

This will hang heavy on my heart for a long time.
Angry Canine

condolences from the sideshow prophets....

Postby sideshow prophet » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:36 pm

we are all at a loss due to this overwhelming news...we want to thank Dave
and the rest of the band for making us sing along all these years and offer
our deepest condolences to his dear friends and his family. if there is
anything that we can do- either as individuals or as the band, please
contact us at www.sideshowprophets.com.

b.Potash
sideshow prophet

Postby Rozzlyn » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:37 pm

I just want to say my piece here. I've only really been a Milkmen fan for the last five years and I interviewed Rodney about Burn Witch Burn roughly a year and a half ago (it *will* be published this June -- I promise!), but this band means a lot to me. It may sound silly to some, but it does.

I want to make it to the memorial service. I'll try to keep up on details here, but if anybody wants to e-mail me, my new e-mail address is boirozzlyn@necrophiliacs.net

-- ^*^ Rozzlyn ^*^
"Go ahead, say it. say 'penis.' It almost sounds *cute* if you say it right." -- Rozzlyn Heltir
Rozzlyn

Postby tiggrrl » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:38 pm

I still remember seeing the Dead Milkmen play at Oberlin College when I
was a student, and peeling off a beer bottle label so that I could have
them sign something.

Listening to their music helped me feel like not so much of a freak, or at
least a freak with some great company.

I hope Dave finds the peace he needs.
tiggrrl

Postby The Amish Sheik » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:40 pm

As I write this with tears in my eyes, there will be one story about Dave that I would love to share as an example of the kindness and friendliness that has been posted about him.

I was around 13/14 when I first saw the Milkmen in 89/90. Me and my buddies got into the 18+ show at the old Living Room in Providence by using the "I'm straight-edge, I don't need an ID" excuse to the ID man that we used so many times before.

It was a little past midnight, and the Milkmen were getting ready to go on stage. Me and my buddy Brian were hanging near the Cigarette machine, where about 10 feet away was Dave Blood.

We were in awe, there he was, a member of a band we actually had a CD of. Dave was doing some sort of jumping jacks as we stared. He must have noticed we were a little star struck and said "Ahhh, I gotta get loosened up .... you wouldn't believe what a work out it is to play a show" (I'm sure I miss-quoted him there, but you get the idea)

He actually spent a few more minutes talking to us about our obsession with the Milkmen and with punk rock in general.

That was the coolest thing he could've done, spend a few minutes with his fans. I remember after that never being "star-struck" ever again when meeting other bands in the future. He gave me the feeling that we are ALL in the punk community and their are no ranks in our army.

Dave, May the Force be with you.

~~~Brett
These aren't the droids you're looking for.
The Amish Sheik

sad day

Postby tenenbaum » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:48 pm

the way Dave played the Bass was so vibrantly chunky and infectiously delicious! I'll miss him dearly!

peace out from within friend
"I say I believe in Swordfish"
tenenbaum

A sad day

Postby PackageThief » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:51 pm

I wish Dave's death was just a dream. The Milkmen were the 1st band I ever heard from outside the mainstream back in 1985 & to this day I love them as much as when I 1st heard them. My deepest sympathies to all who know and love Dave, I'm just a fan, but I know It'll put a void in my life.
PackageThief

Postby Paul » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:53 pm

This is extremely sad news. I have been a big fan of our beloved Milkmen for over 15 years. They were my first club show over 10 years ago and to this day it's one of the most memorable shows i've ever been to and i've been to hundreds. The Dead Milkmen have always been a big influence on me and my friends not only musically but mentally too. We'd sit around and pick apart and enjoy their songs over and over. One of my favorite parts was always the great, underrated, basslines of Mr. Blood. I still can't believe this is real. My condolences to all his family, friends, and fellow fans. We'll never forget you or your band, Dave. Goodbye and thank you for everything.
Gets you all the and that you want
Paul

PreviousNext

Return to Dave Blood Memorial Thread